diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surjer

Aquarium Advice Activist
I came home this evening and there is this brown algea all over the place. I think this is what people are refering to as "Diatoms"? If so does this mean my tank is healthy? Does it mean my cleanup crew is too small? Just curious if I should be conserned or not.

TIA

You talking about a dusty residue over the sand and glass? If not what does it look like?

There is a brown dusting all over the sand and on most of the rocks. Doesnt appear to be any on my glass. If I look at the inside of the front glass THROUGH the side glass it appears to be a little dusty with this white residue tho...

Yes that is diatoms and believe it or not I still get it on my glass after 9 yrs. I just run the mag float over the glass every few days. What type water are you using?

i use distilled water from the grocery store. I guess I should just get some more snails. I have only a few in there now. Someone told me I should have like 15-20 in there total.

Very common in new tanks (less then 3 months old) but not as common in established tanks.

I wouldn't put 15-20 in a 20 gal personally as IME some will starve and die from too much competition for food. IME 1 per 2-3 gal has been optimal between just enough to keep the tank clean and not too many that some starve.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom