Difference between algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeverumGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the difference between brown and green algae? I'm growing brown and my sister is growing green.

Im not totally sure but i know that the brown algea will burn off because it usally shows up after a cycled tank. Green algea comes when the lights are on for too long and there is too much nutrients in the water

It depends on what type of green algae....some are from too much light, some from not enough water flow/stagnant spots, some are from phosphates or an imbalance of other nutrients. If it's not a planted tank I would think high phosphates and/or too much light

As for the brown algae...if it is dusty and brushes off easily it is diatoms and will go away after the silicates are used up...sometimes can take a long time. :)

Well, to be honest I have never seen brown algae in my tanks that isnt diatoms. I have had some hair algae that wasn't as bright green and I would have thought.

Can you be more specific as to a description of your algae? Or even post a picture?

Back
Top Bottom