Disaster struck! Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TerraAimee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. So I'm completely at a loss this morning. Last night our tanks bottom seam started to give way and we had to completely remove everything from the tank and put it into tubs. Thankfully its just live rock and sand and no inhabitants. Hadn't even started my cycle yet. So I guess I should count myself lucky...although I'm not really feeling that lucky.

My LFS are completely worthless and no one will order me a 72 gallon bowfront to replace this one (this tank had already been resealed, im so over resealing it and hoping for the best especially since we did everything by the book here and it still ended up leaking). My best bet is to now replace the tank and the stand (even bigger slap in the face since we just reinforced this stand to handle the rock and sand). Now I'm not sure how long it'll take to get a new setup, but i figure ill be cycling in tubs this time.

Now the problem besides actually spending the money on the new setup! I've never had to keep my live sand and rock in tubs during cycling. I have them in separate tubs, the rock has a PH in there and a heater keeping it at around 80 degrees. Ill check the parameters here in a few to see where we're at but as of last night before the tank started leaking, we were still at 0 ammonia. The sand is in a separate tub, im going to go buy another tub because the sand is waaay too deep in there. I wanna break it up and keep it alive if we can. I can see all the copepods in there and I don't want to waste the money I spent on live sand. I dont have a second PH at this moment, so Ill buy some bubblers to keep the water moving in the sand tubs just like the rock tub. Am I at least on the right track here? lol Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel like someone just stole my child. :( Ive had good luck with tanks before and this was just a terrible low blow. Thanks in advance. Everyone here is always so helpful and I know everyone knows how this feels in some way. Nothing like a saltwater tank to make you feel powerless.

Terra

Hmm I built my 40gal bow front and did nothing by the book with no issues! Can't understand why your would not seal?

This would be the second time. But I think I may have found a glass company to reseal it. Working on that right now. The seal looked perfect so I dont know what happened. The tank has been set up with water testing it for 3 weeks while we collected things and tested the equipment. It had 80 lbs of sand and about 50 lbs of uncured rock in it for about a week. Added 20 lbs of live sand and ONE 7 lb rock and it was good for about 2 hours...then the leak sprang and it was a rush to get it empty. It was pouring out pretty good since it was a bottom seam.

my bottom seam went in my 125 2 seperate times....it knocked me out of the hobby for almost a year. id really look into who manufactured the tank. i know that with all-glass (now aqueon) i believe its anything over 55g has a lifetime warranty from defect. And they honor it. they replaced my dual-overflow 125 for free... didnt even have to pay shipping. sinstead of paying a company to reseal it or to replace it, try to see if the manufacturer wont replace it under warranty. :)

Oh man I couldn't imagine hauling 125 g out of the house in a hurry twice!!! AHH!!! :blink: Unfortunately for me, this tank is an older tank (about 10 years) which is why we resealed it from the get go. I wish i could just call and yell at someone to make this problem go away. lol That would make things a lot easier but as we all know...nothing is easy in the saltwater world.

i didnt empty any water myself....it happened both times when i wasnt home. came home to empty tanks. and age doesnt matter so much. jsut try to distinguish who the manufacturer is, and if possible get a receipt if you can. if it is an All-Glass tank (Aqueon now) theres a little paper tab under the bottom frame, facing up, so if you look down through the empty tank, you should see it, along with some series of numbers/letters. thats the only thing they would ask for. (again assuming its an all-glass tank.) either way there should be some id paper on the frame.

Hmm well I found the number and even the name of the guy the did the production on it. lol So I'm going to get a hold of my aunt and uncle, the original owners, and see if they remember where they got it and all the good stuff. Thanks for the tip!! I hope it pans out. I would feel much better about getting a brand new tank rather than paying someone to re-reseal it. lol I'll update if figure anything out. :)

Thanks! In the mean time, does anyone know if I'm doing the right things for the rock and sand? I figure I'll keep watching the parameters and do regular water changes when needed. As of right now I'm only seeing small amounts of ammonia but I'll of course keep checking.

That is just dieoff from the curing LR. Dont worry abt that.

Thanks! In the mean time, does anyone know if I'm doing the right things for the rock and sand? I figure I'll keep watching the parameters and do regular water changes when needed. As of right now I'm only seeing small amounts of ammonia but I'll of course keep checking.

Yes you are, try to get the sand bed down to 2 inches or less.

Back
Top Bottom