Discus advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_little_tetra

Aquarium Advice Activist
My boyfriend is thinking about starting a Discus tank.. he has a 46G bowfront. What types of tetra and other fish (clown loaches, blue rams) would compliment nicely? What type of Filter, Lighting, and food would be best? Will 4-5 Discus fit in the tank? Thanks for any help!!

My boyfriend is thinking about starting a Discus tank.. he has a 46G bowfront. What types of tetra and other fish (clown loaches, blue rams) would compliment nicely? What type of Filter, Lighting, and food would be best? Will 4-5 Discus fit in the tank? Thanks for any help!!
I would never even think about doing a discus tank in less than a 75, but that's my 2c. It gives more tank volume. In a 46g I wouldn't do anything more than a pair. But still, even that I don't recommend. If you can get a 75, your options open up a lot.

Cardinal tetras are very nice schooling fish with discus. Lighting depends on planting. More light= more plants you can keep. Filtration- I would do as much as you can possibly do.

I would never even think about doing a discus tank in less than a 75, but that's my 2c. It gives more tank volume. In a 46g I wouldn't do anything more than a pair. But still, even that I don't recommend. If you can get a 75, your options open up a lot.

Cardinal tetras are very nice schooling fish with discus. Lighting depends on planting. More light= more plants you can keep. Filtration- I would do as much as you can possibly do.

I agree that a 46 is to small for discus, a pair would possibly work though. Cardinals and rummynose tetras would be my main choice for tankmates. Just remember web you have high light most of the time you will need co2. I'd get a large canister for filtration.

We have been reading some articles that are suggesting for Bio filtration in a large HOB or two preferably with bio-wheels. Also it listed bristlenose catfish as great tank mates... any one out there ever have them? What type of plants would work well? Also we read that the Disucus fish should have 5 gallons of water per fish, does that seem like enough?

We have been reading some articles that are suggesting for Bio filtration in a large HOB or two preferably with bio-wheels. Also it listed bristlenose catfish as great tank mates... any one out there ever have them? What type of plants would work well? Also we read that the Disucus fish should have 5 gallons of water per fish, does that seem like enough?
No not at all. Haha. They initially need at minimum 50 gallons, and then for every new fish add five gallons. So for four fish you need at minimum (remember the more the better), 65 gallons. Bristlenpse plecos are okay tank mates. They work as bottom feeders. Plants- all plants that can take the high temperature will work.

IMO, a sump is the best filtration. Some people don't have that kind of space though. If you want hob filtration you would need a lot of filters lol. And then you would have to do more than the recommended daily water change. If you haven't figured out already, discus are very demanding fish. :D

I got Discus in hard water in a Ph of 7.8 , but my tank is stable no ph swings, that's all you need Discus aren't hard to keep they just expensive fish. My fish are doing great. If you're gonna buy Discus make sure you get at least 7 days of warranty that's just peace of mind.

It's common for a school of discus to be kept in a 55g tank but that's about the minimum. I wouldn't try keeping them in anything smaller.

Appreciate the help. Are there any other websites to seek more information.. somethig dedicated to discus fish?

Back
Top Bottom