displaying a clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueAbyss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, we are rearranging things in our tank (just changed substrate) and I was wondering how you all display your clams? At one LFS I was told you put it right in the sand, at another I was told you put it up on the rocks and at still another I was told you put it ON the sand ON a piece of grate. We had it just sitting in the sand but after a few days it appeared it was digging itself a hole from opening and closing I guess. lol. Once we figure out HOW to display it, we have another problem... which WAY to display it? When we bought it it was displayed with it's mouth-like opening facing front. In the picture of the month though it appears their clam is facing with the spout like opening front... which is right? and does it matter? I found a place where I could get the Giant Clams book for 10.00 delivered (instead of 40 + shipping from pet warehouse) so I ordered it but it won't be here for a little while and I would like to move the clam back in to the tank today, and then not disturb him again for a while. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

From what I remember in your ppics the clam you have is a T. derasa, these are large clams and are most comfortable on the bottom. IMO, all clams should be placed as low in the aquarium as possible, for viewing from above. I have had best luck placing them on the sand with a rock, buried underneath them to prevent burrowing, and to protect their byssal orifice. In anycase here is a link to some info on clams and their care....
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Saltwater_Fish_and_Reef_Aquariums/files/Giant Clams/

thanks so much, yes mine is a derasa. I will read those files! probably tomorrow. I appreciate your help also thank you for the tip about the carbonated water. We had one baby mantis and a TON of little bristle worms, it was so fast as soon as you dip it in they came flying off the rocks it seemed! We will definatly use this method in teh future!

Fishfreek, Blue Abyss is the person I was telling you about.

I am glad you came over here now!!! :lol:

(have know her for a long time and she's helped me alot with my tank)

Gina AKA Fishgirl

Back
Top Bottom