Dithers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PassengerTN

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking for suggestions on dithers for a tank with a JD and GT. I really enjoy the looks of lemon, and cherry tetras but I'm not sure if they'll be quick/tough enough to withstand a thrashing if something goes south. The JD is laid back sub adult around 5-5.5" and the GT is a small juvie. I'm aware of the typical giant danio/Denison/rainbowfish dithers, mostly just curious if the cherrys or lemons could work

Jesse

Tetras will be expensive snacks for those guys.

How big is the tank?

Lots of people use the lemons. Buenos Aires tetras are another that works well and pet smart often has them for a dollar

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I always saw them as better dither fish for shy, less aggressive fish, not larger SAs like a GT. That's just my experience.

I always saw them as better dither fish for shy, less aggressive fish, not larger SAs like a GT. That's just my experience.

You are thinking of target fish not dithers
OP are you looking to spread aggression? Because that would be target fish. I have seen people use cons or silver dollars for that if the tank is big enough.
Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nope, there's really no aggression to spread out. The JD claimed dominance from the beginning since he is almost double the size of the GT. The GT hangs out near the filter intakes and really only comes into mid tank/open waters during feeding time. I suppose a target fish would be better suited as whatever I do needs to be fairly rugged if someone was to decide they wanted to taste them. I really don't care for the looks of silver dollars, or how jittery/skittish they can be.

Also just realized I put cherry tetras, hopefully you guys understood that I meant lemon tetras or cherry barbs.

Jesse

I would try the lemons or the Buenos aeries tetras. But all you can do is try. May work fine or they may disappear.

Your really looking for more of a big bodied fish so I'd stay away from cherry barbs. I've used them successfully with Cryptoheros but not with larger cichlids. I personally use buenes and lemons when I'm able. My large tank I can't keep anything alive for more than 12 hours and they're gone so it's all hit or miss depending on the fish.

I like the Buenos Aires idea as well. They accent the cichlids nicely. Cherry barbs are pretty cool too but they don't get very girthy which could mean JD snack.

And I realise there isn't per say aggression but it sounds like its only because the gt has submitted. It doesn't sound like a great relationship and I bet some targets would help the gt out a lot.

Back
Top Bottom