DIY CO2 Concerns & Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm thinking of starting a DIY CO2 system to save some cash. I'll probably upgrade to a pressurized high tech system later. Its for my 12g nano cube that I want to redo. I bought floramax substrate, I have 48w of lighting, I have flourish tabs, flourish liquid ferts, and excel... Will this work for a decent planted tank?

I've read that DIY CO2 causes too much pH fluctuations and instability that can stress fish.. Are there any tips to avoid this? I was thinking of running an airstone air pump on a timer at night when the lights are off to counter the constant CO2 being diffused in, since there's no way to shut it off.

Just want to make sure I have all the bases covered before I start setting this all up. Thanks for your help!

I do DIY for both of my tanks. I never saw enough of a ph difference to worry, and if you are consistent with changing out the bottles, it won't swing. It doesn't really swing anyways because it doesn't just produce co2 full swing and then stop immediately. It slows down. Do you know what recipe you're going to use? I can give you the link to the page that I use if you want.

Another thing to consider is diffusion. How will you diffuse the co2?

Also, 48 watts of what kind of lighting?

If you do co2 I wouldn't worry about Excel. If you feel you must supplement more carbon, use the API co2 booster because its cheaper. I use it when I know my DIY is slowing down but I don't have time to change it out yet.

Thanks for the info! Yeah Id appreciate the link to the recipe. For the lighting its 2x24w PC bulbs (1x24w coralife 10,000k and 1x24w JBJ 6500k). I bought the fluval ceramic diffuser on amazon for like 5 bucks. I also got the fluval bubble counter to view the bubble rate and to also separate the co2 and any potential yeast seepage. I was going to DIY the bubble counter, but I thought the fluval looks pretty neat for the price. Plus I think it would minimize any leaks associated with DIY CO2 problems.

I'm going to use a 1 liter bottle so I would need a recipe that's suitable for less than the average DIY 2 liter I usually read about. Plus my tank is only 12g.

Here's my setup so far:

ForumRunner_20120802_134629.jpg

ForumRunner_20120802_134655.jpg

Predfan27 said:
Following this.

I want to start my 29, 10, and other 10 on it :)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because this is like the blind leading the blind here, but I recall reading somewhere that for larger tanks like your 29g, you'll have to run two reactors. A single would be good for < 15-20g?

Yea one is fine for your tank but most people don't do DIY for tanks larger than 40 gallons. I have DIY on my 55.

paytertot said:
Yea one is fine for your tank but most people don't do DIY for tanks larger than 40 gallons. I have DIY on my 55.

Wow for a 55? How "planted" is it and is the DIY even effective at that size?

It's not all that planted. I use 2 bottles on it. Soon to be 3. It's not anything like pressurized but I saw a difference.
1 Amazon sword
1 melon sword
1 unidentified sword
1 aponogeton crispus
1 red crypt wendtii
1 hygrophilia corymbosa
And one plant that I believe to be a nymphaea pubescens.

In my 36 gallon, that's different. I have
1 Amazon sword
1 ozelot sword
1 anubias something, I forgot
1 crypt wedntii green
1 lacy java fern
1 unidentified plant, either a val or an aponogeton.
1 ever growing bundle of hornwort
And 2 hygros of some sort

Sorry I would be more descriptive but I have a raging fever, drifting in and out of reality lol

Back
Top Bottom