Diy co2 for 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm using a 2 liter for diy co2 on my 20 gallon tank should I be concerned about gassing my fish at night since its running 24/7 or should I just get an aerator to run at night to be safe?

I run 2, 2 liter bottles on my 37g and I don't worry about it. If your drop checker stays in the green you should be fine. I run a heavy yeast and sugar mix and mine will go to a lime green but never any lighter. My recipe is:
1TBS yeast
2 1/2 c sugar
1tsp of baking soda and the rest warm water.
This lasts me 2 weeks and I change 1 bottle a week so I always have a strong flow of co2 and I average about 3bps.

I run 2, 2 liter bottles on my 37g and I don't worry about it. If your drop checker stays in the green you should be fine. I run a heavy yeast and sugar mix and mine will go to a lime green but never any lighter. My recipe is:
1TBS yeast
2 1/2 c sugar
1tsp of baking soda and the rest warm water.
This lasts me 2 weeks and I change 1 bottle a week so I always have a strong flow of co2 and I average about 3bps.

How are you diffusing it?

I am using a rio 50 small powerhead. It's been giving me nice tiny bubbles.

I'm using a maxijet 400 and its working better then expected up getting really small bubbles that's why I'm worried

I had issues with my larger one. The flow and diffusion were great. But my tube fell out during a water change and sucked in an oto so I got the smaller one. I got the little guy out but then I lost him a few days later. That is the only reason I bumped to a smaller flow head.

I had issues with my larger one. The flow and diffusion were great. But my tube fell out during a water change and sucked in an oto so I got the smaller one. I got the little guy out but then I lost him a few days later. That is the only reason I bumped to a smaller flow head.

I think I'm just super paranoid because I have 2 angels in there right now and it took me forever to find them up here

I had angels in with mine and they did fine with the heavy flow. The powerhead alone was 295gph not including my 2 HOBs that I was running. I had it up to a total of 700gph so you should be fine.

I had angels in with mine and they did fine with the heavy flow. The powerhead alone was 295gph not including my 2 HOBs that I was running. I had it up to a total of 700gph so you should be fine.

Thanks for the help man I have a penguin 350 with a 100 gph powerhead so I should be good. Maybe the biowheels will degas the co2 a little at night.

Back
Top Bottom