DIY CO2 setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baobeiiiiiiii

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here it is:

Works great, baking soda in one bottle, citric acid in the other, connected to a solenoid and then into the tank.

I wanted a DIY CO2 system that can be used with a solenoid. When the solenoid is closed at night, the pressure builds in the bottle until 3.6kg/cm2, then a safety valve slowly opens (it's like a spring) and brings the pressure back down to 3.2kg/cm2. Rinse and repeat.

Basically a nice solution to having a diy co2 system that can only run during the day, without worrying about pressure in the bottles increasing too much when it turns off at night. Only slight pet peeve is a bottle can handle probably 7 or 8kg/cm2, but that safety valve wont let it get near that.

Attachments

• co2.jpg
    co2.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 2,300
That's pretty interesting where did you get the solenoid to fit those bottles? Could you post a how to ?

Both components are branded WYIN, i'm new on this site, mods forgive me if posting links to a product isn't allowed (i don't advertise or sell this):

Blue bar:

blue bar

Solenoid:

solenoid

Basically i'm in China so it's easy to get here. That seems to be the 'company' website, but I got them from 'taobao', biggest online shopping site in China where you can buy next to anything.

The connection between the fine tuning valve on the blue bar to the solenoid is simply a piece of air tubing. Total cost around 28USD, but aquarium things are cheaper here.

Here's a youtube vid of the system running:

DIY CO2 FISH TANK - YouTube

Atm the bubble counter isn't showing any bubbles on the '4 in 1' atomizer in the tank, not sure why. Other than that seems to be working well.

That unit runs 43usd on ebay. I was looking at it yesterday. Glade I seen this info before I purchased it not sure if I will now bit I so have a question how long does the citric acid and baking soda system last. I currently am running a yeast driven system.

lasts 25 days if you turn it off at night, thereabouts. You're supposed to use 2 liter coke bottles, one drips into the other creating the reaction. I'm no chemist but it works.

Don't complain about price lol, aquarium items are one of the few things that are cheaper here (in china where it is made) than almost everything else.

I also build computers and pay about 30% more for every component than Americans enjoy. You'd only want this particular setup if you want the pressure gauge, safety valve and fine tuning valve all in one without much work to set it up. Of course you could just get those components separately.

That's the advertisement, i'll have to run it once the tank is fully set up to definitively say how long 200g baking soda + 200g citric acid powder lasts.

With solenoid It won't explode at night?

That unit runs 43usd on ebay. I was looking at it yesterday. Glade I seen this info before I purchased it not sure if I will now bit I so have a question how long does the citric acid and baking soda system last. I currently am running a yeast driven system.

can you post links?

this is what i found. but they sure jacked up the price alright
CO2 Magnetic Valve Solenoid Valve Night Time Cut Off for 220V Aquarium | eBay
CO2 Magnetic Valve Solenoid Valve Night Time Cut Off | eBay

But with this solenoid there is a risk of "gas strike" when it turn ON after the night?
Or it's 100% safe? In russians forums they say that solenoid must be upgraded to prevent gas strike.

But with this solenoid there is a risk of "gas strike" when it turn ON after the night?
Or it's 100% safe? In russians forums they say that solenoid must be upgraded to prevent gas strike.

can you elaborate on 'gas strike'?

can you elaborate on 'gas strike'?
When too much of CO2 acumulated over the night and when solenoid open valve alll the gas go to the tank... Something like that...

I cannot find any cheap 110V solenoid on ebay, everything is for 220-240V :(
Cheaper that I found is Milwaukee Solenoid Valva for 48$...

Back
Top Bottom