DIY Custom lid???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy212

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all.. im trying to build a custom lid/cover for my 75 gallon tank. This isnt as easy as it appears because i have a older tank without the plastic support rail running through the center. The bracket holding the tank together has a lip on the inside. im trying to figure out how to and what to use to make a custom lid. i also have hangon filters/ heaters/ filters so it needs to be CUSTOM. haha.. i know it sounds rediculous but its all i need plus lights and fish to have an aquarium.
thought about the mesh.. but saw a thread where fish jumped through.
considering plexiglass

any thoughts? opinions? Help?
thanks alot
brian

Be SURE that it is an AQUARIUM and not a Terrarium and it is meant to hold water. With out that center support it is suspect to be a terrarium and should only have a few inches of water in it. i think for it to be able to be filled to the rim with water the glass will have to be 1/2 inch thick or more. i have an older 75 gal and it is 3/8 glass and still has a center brace.

The old 75 gal that I got used had no center brace. It has almost 1/2" thick glass & no bowing whatsoever when filled to the brim.

You can make yourself a center brace quite easily. Get a piece of glass maybe 3-4" wide & exactly the same length as the inside front/back distance of your tank. Silicone that to the center of your front & back panes at the top & you are done.

I have 2 older tank I bought new and neither have a center brace. One is a Perfecto 55 I bought about 25 yrs ago. I also bought a AGA 50 breeder (36x18x20) about 20 yrs ago. Glass is much thicker on both than a new 55 or 75 tho.

Back
Top Bottom