Diy skimmer pipeing ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zippo1313

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello just dumb new guy ? I have been looking at DIY skimmer plans and keep finding one main difference the pipe that goes up to the collection cup some are 2 some are 1-1/2 some down to 1 doses it make much difference wich i use I have all 3 so just don't know wich I should use any help would be great thanks

Abs isn't made for pressure systems. Abs is used for gravity systems so if its the pipe to the sump you would be ok but the return use PVC. Size of pipe depends on how much flow you want and how big the pump you are gonna be using is. Remember the smaller the pipe the less flow. I personally use 1" with a rio 2100 for my return on a 65 gallon and it is plenty.

I know PVC is for pressure but don't think there will be that much in it and I have the plumbing to go to and from the skimmer but I'm building the skimmer and need to know what if it makes much difrence what size pipe goes up into the collection cup

As long as it can handle the flow of water your tank will be getting it shouldn't. The largest particles of anything going through filter is usually food so you technically could use 1/2" if wanted and flow permitted.

Back
Top Bottom