DIY Slate Cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarheel92

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just finished laying out the slate for a cave for my 29G community tank. Used natural slate tiles from Home Depot ($8/5 sq ft) that I smashed into the pieces, and will be using silicon to attach the support stacks but probably leave the large stones spanning across them loose to allow for the angle to be adjusted.

Here's a photo of the stones stacked, and I'll post more next week when I get my tank up and running.

image-3840201752.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished laying out the slate for a cave for my 29G community tank. Used natural slate tiles from Home Depot ($8/5 sq ft) that I smashed into the pieces, and will be using silicon to attach the support stacks but probably leave the large stones spanning across them loose to allow for the angle to be adjusted.

Here's a photo of the stones stacked, and I'll post more next week when I get my tank up and running.

View attachment 158458
Very nice, thanks, you just gave me an idea!!!!

Not a problem! It was my afternoon project, quick and easy. There were some sharp edges from where the tiles broke that I sanded down with a dremel tool just to be sure it wouldn't hurt my fish, though I don't know if that would actually be a problem or not.

Not a problem! It was my afternoon project, quick and easy. There were some sharp edges from where the tiles broke that I sanded down with a dremel tool just to be sure it wouldn't hurt my fish, though I don't know if that would actually be a problem or not.
Don't laugh,.....i'm thinking, a fish motel!!!. Maybe slightly bigger than yours with a bridal suite for my soon to breed(hopefully) Kribensis...haha. I might even stick an en-suite in there, with a Jacuzzi bath!!!!.
No seriously, the same layout as yours, maybe make mine flat at the front. I will use it in the center of the tank, against the back of the tank. She has a cave at the moment but it's a bit small for two!!!..
Probably was best to sand down the sharp edges, better to be safe than sorry. Will you take some picture of the different steps as you put it together, please. I'd like to know how much silicone to use etc etc.
PS...Sorry for the dumb question but what is a dremel tool???

Don't laugh,.....i'm thinking, a fish motel!!!. Maybe slightly bigger than yours with a bridal suite for my soon to breed(hopefully) Kribensis...haha. I might even stick an en-suite in there, with a Jacuzzi bath!!!!.
No seriously, the same layout as yours, maybe make mine flat at the front. I will use it in the center of the tank, against the back of the tank. She has a cave at the moment but it's a bit small for two!!!..
Probably was best to sand down the sharp edges, better to be safe than sorry. Will you take some picture of the different steps as you put it together, please. I'd like to know how much silicone to use etc etc.
PS...Sorry for the dumb question but what is a dremel tool???
The dremel is a handheld rotary tool Dremel 3000 Series Rotary Tool Kit-3000-1/25H at The Home Depot

I just used the sanding bit on it, kind of a mini power sander than is easy to get into little cracks to keep the shape, though i'm sure you can take of the edge with sandpaper by hand.

I will take some pictures when I go to glue it together, but I don't have any from the process. I literally just dropped the 12x12 tile onto the floor, and then used a hammer and chisel to break those big chunks into the smaller pieces.

That sounds like a pretty awesome idea though, if there is anything we do best it's spoil our fish. Let me know if you have any other questions!

The dremel is a handheld rotary tool Dremel 3000 Series Rotary Tool Kit-3000-1/25H at The Home Depot

I just used the sanding bit on it, kind of a mini power sander than is easy to get into little cracks to keep the shape, though i'm sure you can take of the edge with sandpaper by hand.

I will take some pictures when I go to glue it together, but I don't have any from the process. I literally just dropped the 12x12 tile onto the floor, and then used a hammer and chisel to break those big chunks into the smaller pieces.

That sounds like a pretty awesome idea though, if there is anything we do best it's spoil our fish. Let me know if you have any other questions!
I'll have to look for a similar type of tool on Ebay Ireland, i don't think The Home Depot deliver to Ireland!!!!. Thank for the link though, i know what i'm looking for now...
Yeah they do get spoilt alright, if they only knew what we have to do!!!!. If i have any more questions, don't worry, they will be asked...haha. Cheers

Not a problem! Most hardware stores carry either a Dremel tool or something similar. Dremel is just one of the companies that make rotary tools (and I think the original).

I also used tile slate and I just took one of the pieces of slate and smooth the edges...works like an emery board shaping and smoothing a fingernail.....

So I attached everything today. Used an aquarium safe silicone and just applied it to the part of the stone that will be touching and pressed down. It needs to cure for 24 hours, but after about 3 it is already a strong enough hold to pick them up and no stones fall off.

image-2288946511.jpg

image-1754723532.jpg

Back
Top Bottom