Do I need the bio bale in a BakPak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hisc1ay

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey folks.

I just got a used BakPak for my 10 gallon reef. I have over 15 lbs live rock and a 3" sand bed. I'm wondering if I can get rid of the bio bale in the skimmer and use it as sort of a refugium. The main reason is that I don't want the caulerpa in my tank anymore, or at least not as much of it. It would also be a place to store some crabs that I don't want in the tank proper. Is the space too small, and would the lack of filtration media matter that much?

Thanks for your input,

-j

I had the same question as well. Also, does the biobale contribute to higher nitrate levels? IF you can do without it, would it be possible to store my tank's heater in the chamber?

i've heard the bio-bale can contribute to higher nitrates. A was also wondering about the heater thing except I have a remora aqua c

if you dont have the bio bale in there you can put just about anything else in. a heater would be fine. the bio bale doesn't actualy make high nitrates. what happens is the bio bale supports a very large amount of microbs and bacteria that take care of amonia and nitrites befor the live rock can get to it. but because the bio bale is in a high water flow area that has a large amount of oxygen, anerobic bacteria (bacteria that live in low oxygen areas) that change nitrates into nitrogen gas cant grow. there for there isn't anything to change that nitrate into nitrogen gas so the nitrate level will rise in your tank. this is fine as long as you do regulare water changes.
now if you take out the bio bale you need to do it slowly( take only a little out at a time) in a span of about a week or two. that way the bacteria on the lr will have a chance.
so if you do take the bio bale out, be shure to have enough live rock.
hope this helps

Well the LR has been in the tank since October, and the bio bale was in there since today. :) So I'm sure it can come out without a problem. I just want to know if I can get away with treating it like a refugium.

I will be taking a look at the berlin method. Thanks!

-j

the bak-pak is not a fuge. do not put algae, sand or live rock in it. I'd remove the bio-bale to lower nitrates. I've not had any problems with microbubbles on mine.

Don't know anything about the BakPak, but I have lr rubble in my fluval 404 for added filtration. Why shouldn't hisclay put lr in the BakPak?

LR works in a canister but is probably not the best idea in a clear acrylic protein skimmer.

Thanks for the suggestions. I moved some stuff around and found out that with the skimmer I can have more real estate in my tank. I took the powerful PH and put it where the Maxi400 was, took out the old filter I had in for movment (I was using it until I got PHs, but then never took it out), and put my heater in the skimmer. It looks much better in the tank now. :)

-j

Back
Top Bottom