Do I want an aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also I found petco sometimes very cheap on beginner tank setups not so knowledgeable on the fish but a good place to buy a starter tank. Recently saw a kit with 55 gallon tank aqueon 55/75 power flow filter hood light and 200 w heater for 119.00 if your part of the petco pals rewards which is free to sign up. Also they have a dollar a gallon sale once a year I.e. 20for 20 bucks 55gallon for 55 bucks so something to think about.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
Also I found petco sometimes very cheap on beginner tank setups not so knowledgeable on the fish but a good place to buy a starter tank. Recently saw a kit with 55 gallon tank aqueon 55/75 power flow filter hood light and 200 w heater for 119.00 if your part of the petco pals rewards which is free to sign up. Also they have a dollar a gallon sale once a year I.e. 20for 20 bucks 55gallon for 55 bucks so something to think about.

Sorry, I do not mean to contradict. I do believe it is more convenient to get a starter kit but I highly discourage it as the only thing that is good about the kit is the tank itself. Most of the stuff the kit comes with will probably need to be replaced in the near future such as filter, heater and I don't think anything else is important. The kits are usually a rip off, the dechlorinator, food an etc are usually not up to par. And the lights are not ideal. Especially if they are incandescent.

But I do agree with starting with a large tank if you think you will be into it such as a 55g. Because the smaller the tank, the less options you have for your stocking.

Its ok, the only reason I said anything is because I have purchased them in the past and never had a problem but I also can't say I havent upgraded anything either. But that comes with the territory your always gonna want something bigger and better once you get into it, lol.

Get a big tank

Wait a week

Pop some fish in

And leave them until it looks dirty then give it a clean.

No hard work really at all , very relaxing though.

Also some people think it is good to always have your hands in the tank cleaning and e.t.c but it really is not! Think of the poor fish when you have your hands in the tank...
:)

Fishy Aston said:
Get a big tank

Wait a week

Pop some fish in

Also some people think it is good to always have your hands in the tank cleaning and e.t.c but it really is not! Think of the poor fish when you have your hands in the tank...

No no no! No offense but that's terrible terrible advice

paytertot said:
No no no! No offense but that's terrible terrible advice

+1

What is that? Aston, Do you work at my local pets at home? That's not advice to be following I'm afraid.

Fishy Aston said:
Get a big tank

Wait a week

Pop some fish in

Wait a week???
Then clean until it looks dirty???
What you & the OP should read about is how to cycle a tank fish in or fishless
Mumma.of.two has great links for cycling a tank

I have my own fish store located near Clacton On Sea.

Do you think in the nature everything is all clean?

Do you think in the normal habitat there peoples hand in there river?

Nope leave the fish alone and let nature be.
We interfere enough by taking out of there habitat at least after you have put them in the tank leave them alone they have gone through enough stress!
Also most of the thinks us LFS sell are all rip of anyway! Stress Zyme all the live bacteria in that bottle has already died pretty much half of it sits on my shelfs for a few months before that stock goes!

Its not a game its nature!

Aston have you heard of cycling a tank in order to create the beneficial bacteria used to keep fish water free off harmful ammonia? This does happen in nature so we have to re-create that in our aquarium.

Yes so that is why you gradually introduce fish , not all at the same time.

I get a lot of orders in so i do "Fish in Cycle" Start of with Hardy fish like mollies and platies and then slowly build up your tank to until it is fully stocked.

Also you should test with a Api Liquid Test Kit , £25 In My Fish Store.

I show my customers what the actual difference is so i use a strip and then do the same test with the liquid bottles and there is a huge difference.

Defo worth the £25.
Fish usually give out signs when things in there environment arent correct so it is easy to notice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom