Downsizing tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

antgaitan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, first post here.
I currently have a 36 gallon that I bought with the intention of keeping a fully stocked community. Before I was able to make the mistake of buying a thousand fish, I shifted my focus on keeping a simple, under stocked bottom feeder tank. I currently have 6 Kuhli’s, 9 CRS, and plan on getting 6 Corys and more shrimp (MAYBE a handful of Otos, but the point of this downsizing is to keep my aquarium moderately to lowly stocked). I was wondering if downsizing to a 20 gallon long would be an issue in causing my current inhabitants stress. They would still have the same amount of space to swim in length wise, just not height, which I think would be fine considering I don’t have or intend on keeping mid/top level fish.
I also am aware that having a smaller tank will mean it may or not be harder to keep the bio filter stable, but i’m equipped to handle that if it becomes an issue.
Thanks!

Height does play a big factor with top and middle swimmers like you said. Or fish that get larger laterally, ie angels. But length plays a bigger part in fish movement anyway. As long as your current stocking doesn't over load the bio filtration of the 20 gallon I think you would be fine. Imo

Remember you'll have basically half the water volume for the same number of fish. Harder to keep nitrates, etc, in check. Just something to keep in mind

Height does play a big factor with top and middle swimmers like you said. Or fish that get larger laterally, ie angels. But length plays a bigger part in fish movement anyway. As long as your current stocking doesn't over load the bio filtration of the 20 gallon I think you would be fine. Imo

I’m really only gonna have my few Kuhlis and shrimp plus a small addition of fish (Debating between a few Corys or a Hillstream loach, hopefully both but separated by a good amount of time) + a hefty amount of shrimp. I have no intention in stocking the tank over 50%. So really my only concern should be keeping parameters in check! Thanks for helping me out with that.

Back
Top Bottom