driftwood and rock preparation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to get some newly purchased driftwood ready to add to my cycling 10g tank, and have been boiling it to kill any parasites and remove as much tannin as possible. In general, how long should I be boiling the driftwood before putting it in the tank? I should also soak it overnight so it won't float, correct?

I'm also getting a rock ready to place in the tank, and have been boiling it with the driftwood. Other than the vinegar test (to see if it will change water conditions), is there anything else I should do to the rock before putting it in the tank?

The rock should be good if it passed the vinegar test, and you boiled it. If you are worried about it or unsure of the source, you could fill a bucket of water, let it sit for 12 hours or so, test the pH, add the rock, and then test the pH again after 24 hours. That is pretty extreme though... it would just give you some peace of mind so you don't have to worry about it ;)

For the driftwood, it really depends... basically if you don't want it leeching any tannins into your tank, then let it soak in a bucket of water, and continue to boil it every day or so until the water is no longer staining. Some driftwood will continue to leech some tannins regardless of how long you soak it and how long you boil it. It won't hurt the water any, but I can understand if you just don't like the look of having the water stained a slight bit. I have known of folks soaking driftwood for months before adding it to a tank...

Carbon won't help much.

Running purigen in the filter will help some.

But also I will say that some driftwood keep releasing tannis for months, mine is still turning my fish tank a little yellow (which I liked by the way) and has been there for 2 months

Back
Top Bottom