Driftwood or Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beginner on the loose

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the best setup in a 20 gallon tank with sand and planning to have the take obtain live plants (if it matters). Is driftwood better, or rocks? Please keep in mind I am a general beginner. Thanks for the help! kindof a short question but many responses is appreciated.

What is the best setup in a 20 gallon tank with sand and planning to have the take obtain live plants (if it matters). Is driftwood better, or rocks? Please keep in mind I am a general beginner. Thanks for the help! kindof a short question but many responses is appreciated.
Driftwood definitely for a planted tank. You can attach plants to it and rocks would just take up space that could have plants.

I always use DW and rocks together even in small tanks as I think it give the tank a natural look.

I agree. Driftwood would be the better of the two if you want to pick just one. Easier for plants to sink their roots into and some fish like wood to nibble on.

Not trying to hijack this thread. I thought maybe I could ask a question to add to or complement the thread.

Where is the best place to get driftwood and best way to attach plants to it? Plus is the fake decorative driftwood at petsmart and other places ok or will the plants not attach them them over time like real driftwood?

Additionally, is driftwood buoyant? If so how is that remedied?

Not trying to hijack this thread. I thought maybe I could ask a question to add to or complement the thread.

Where is the best place to get driftwood and best way to attach plants to it? Plus is the fake decorative driftwood at petsmart and other places ok or will the plants not attach them them over time like real driftwood?

Additionally, is driftwood buoyant? If so how is that remedied?

Here are a few answers to some of your questions. I Use fishing line to attach plants, some use super glue. Some driftwood is buoyant. Either weigh it down with rocks, submerge it in a large container of water till it sinks on it's own, no set time on this, or get a piece of slate and stainless steel screws and screw in down. Then you can cover the slate with sand or gravel.

Also boiling DW is a good idea to help reduce tannin leaching in the water as many DW pieces do. And I use 100% cotton black thread to tie plants/moss on as over time the thread being cotton will dissolve and the plant will have long attached itself. Fake decorations do not generally work well for attaching plants to unless you glue them but IMO real DW is the best and gives the tank a natural appearance.

Check out Rivercats planted tank. Her 220 is amazing and could give you some good ideas on how you want to do yours.

Back
Top Bottom