Driftwood question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsdryder7

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i picked up a piece of drift from my LFS and he told me to soak it in a bucket for ten days (changing) the water everyday then i would be good..

so just wanted to know if this is correct ?? i dont want to harm my fish

so i picked up a piece of drift from my LFS and he told me to soak it in a bucket for ten days (changing) the water everyday then i would be good..

so just wanted to know if this is correct ?? i dont want to harm my fish

Sounds right. As the days go by the tea water it produces will diminish. If you want tannins in your tank to drop the pH, give it a good wash/scrub and put it in. The tank water will turn tea colored, but it doesn't hurt the fish one bit. Mine is on week 4 of tea water and we're kinda liking the tone of it, but it's slowing down and will most likely be gone in 2-3 weeks.

Mr. Limpet hit it dead on. If you want to avoid lowering pH and having brownish tea colored water, soak in a bucket and change the water daily.
I just dropped mine in the tank and enjoyed brownish colored water for two weeks.

You may have to tie it down so it doesn't float in the tank until its waterlogged .. which is another benefit of soaking in a bucket.

Mr. Limpet hit it dead on. If you want to avoid lowering pH and having brownish tea colored water, soak in a bucket and change the water daily.
I just dropped mine in the tank and enjoyed brownish colored water for two weeks.

You may have to tie it down so it doesn't float in the tank until its waterlogged .. which is another benefit of soaking in a bucket.

Oh right, I forgot the sinking part. But my last piece weighted like 10lbs and it dropped like a rock, which is also why my tea tank keeps going and going lol.

Back
Top Bottom