Driftwood/Rock help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 3 pieces of driftwood that I have boiled and boiled and soaked and soaked for about 3+ weeks and it still will not sink. I know you can tie it to a rock and I have some really pretty rocks I'd love to put in the tank. Next problem - fear of the rocks harming my fish. I've also read that you can use slate in a tank. Is that true? If I used slate could you attach the wood to the slate using aquarium silicone? I would prefer the pretty rocks. I got them from my property and I live in a valley area of high desert Nevada. I'm about ready to just toss the driftwood and the rocks and just forget it. Any suggestions here?

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Pics of rocks
& what kind of wood?
Slate rock is safe for the aquarium
The dw tied to the rock should work
& the silicone should work as well

I have read that if you put the rocks in white vineger and they fizzel they are not safe for aquariums as they contain lime.

I have read that if you put the rocks in white vineger and they fizzel they are not safe for aquariums as they contain lime.

I already did that and they did not fizz or bubble. But I've also read that that is not really foolproof. One of my worries that since we live in a valley in the high desert of Nevada (near Reno) that there may be a lot of harmful minerals.

Pics of rocks
& what kind of wood?
Slate rock is safe for the aquarium
The dw tied to the rock should work
& the silicone should work as well

Can't seem to get pics to load. To bad I can't use them they would look very pretty on the black sand.

You can definitely use slate in a tank, I have a "cave" made of slate in my 29 and haven't had any problems. The trick to sink your drift wood is to put it in a bucket , then put a couple of rocks on the wood fill the bucket with water and forget about it for a month or so. If you just let the wood float on the water it will never sink. I know that there are also other tests for the rock. I think that one of them has to do with the color?

You can definitely use slate in a tank, I have a "cave" made of slate in my 29 and haven't had any problems. The trick to sink your drift wood is to put it in a bucket , then put a couple of rocks on the wood fill the bucket with water and forget about it for a month or so. If you just let the wood float on the water it will never sink. I know that there are also other tests for the rock. I think that one of them has to do with the color?

I did put them in a bucket with rocks on them for about 2 weeks. I bought about 10 pieces on Ebay and all but 3 have sunk. Guess I'll put them back in the bucket again. As for the color of the rocks they are kind of off white and shades of rosy pink.

Back
Top Bottom