driftwood staining pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

p3purr

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently soaked and boiled some Mopani driftwood in a stainless steel pan and the pot is now stained with tannin. I've only soaked wood a few times (not Mopani) and have never experienced or read about this happening. Most of it came out with scrubbing using baking soda and scrub pads but there's a slight trace left. I don't mind to much except it's a pretty good stock pot but my sister refuses to use the pot for cooking. :(

The other thing that happened is one of the pieces turned really red, like ceder. It looks almost neon in the tank.

Has anyone experianced this before and what would you suggest to clean it better?

Thanks

I boiled my Mopani in an electric turkey fryer (with water in it) for about 8 hours. It soaked in a bucket for about a week. It has been in my tank for over two weeks and it still does leak some tannins. Nothing noticeable, just not as crisp and clear as it used to be.

I've boiled other pieces in pans and I've never had it stain, that is rather odd.

Spots on mine turned slightly red, more from the wood just being soaked thoroughly. I got some pics of it if you click the link under my name. HTH.

Back
Top Bottom