Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbr_chick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm not having much luck at the local pet stores with finding driftwood. This weekend I'm hoping to go up to some lakes and streams in the mountains (I live at the base of Pikes Peak) to find some myself. This way I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for driftwood to be shipped (I'm already paying an arm and a leg for new substrate and plants).

Has anyone done this before? Do I boil the driftwood? Just let it soak? Any and all tips are welcome. Thanks! :uzi: <--- I like that one. :D

You can't use pine, it is toxic to fish or something like that. I read around on the forum and came across a thread from a few years ago. It said you needed to stick to hardwoods(deciduous). I'm thinking Aspen might be ok?

I found a cool arched piece of pine in the woods. I was all ready to use it in my new tank. Luckily, I went and did some searching before sticking it in my tank.

Boiling for a while is good. Then you soak it until it doesn't float anymore.

Thanks for the tip! I probably would have stayed away from pine anyways because of all that gross sap. LOL. I'm REALLY REALLY hoping to go up the mountain this week. I need to get away from work and the family for a while (unless they come with me and my dad pays for my fishing license... wouldn't that be nice).

Watch out for black swamp hemlock. The sap is poisonous to humans and animals.
Any dense hardwood should be ok. Try to find old weathered pieces without bark. Boil for a few hours for the heat to reach the center then soak for a month or two. Change the water every few days to dump the tannins.

btw: the inner bark of Aspen (or birch) can be used as a replacement for aspirin if you're caught short in the woods with a toothache, etc... Take a strip and chew it up good then pack on the tooth.

Back
Top Bottom