Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrskater1999

Aquarium Advice Freak
So if I just went to my local lake and found some driftwood, what would I need to do to make it aquarium safe?

First off you would want to boil it to kill of any parasites and stuff. If it can't fit in a pot pour boiling water over it while it's in a bucket or something.

Ok I've done this a few times and this is what works the best imo. Even the most sunbleached most dry driftwood. First, inspect it. Investigate splits to make sure there's no rot. You'll know if you see any. Then what we did was put it in our spare bathtub with lightly salted water. The salt kind of sterilizes it to an extent while it also speeds waterlogging. This can take awhile but soak it until it sinks. When it sinks replace with fresh dechlorinated water and soak about three more days. Even if it is still a little bouyent you can hold it down with a heavy rock until it stays down. Best wishes!

Also, if you want to get the tannin out you will just need to replace tthe water often. However I didn't get all the tannin out of mine and it gives my water a brilliant yellowish color!

Back
Top Bottom