Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stingray68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a piece of driftwood from a beach in Galveston, TX. I have boiled it for about 1 hour and I am letting it soak over night.
I was wondering if I have to boil it more to make it safe or if it can already go in my tank.

Personally, I would dip it in a MILD bleach solution. Like 1 part bleach, 10 parts water. Than hose or power wash it. Finally sit it out in the sun for a few days. You can never be too careful.

Thanks but I don't really like the feeling of putting bleach on it but I will if there is no other way to really clean it
Maybe I could boil it for a few more hours

You don't need to put bleach on it. I had a piece that I just soaked for 2 weeks and just used hot water cause it was too big to boil.

It was from a local river. But the same should still apply. Anything from the salt water that was on the piece wouldn't be able to live in freshwater. And boiling will kill almost anything. There are a lot of people who will put driftwood straight into their tank because there isn't much to worry about other than tannis which only make your water turn brown which won't effect the fish.

The biggest thing you have to worry about is the salt concentrations in the wood.

Boiling it should do the trick. I have heard that A LOT of people bleach stuff before putting it into an aquarium. I don't like the sound either, but it's a really common practice. From what I've heard, you need to soak it a few times, changing water in between, and let it dry out. Good luck

The piece is already sinking so if it can go in the tank today that would be great (I have some lace java fern waiting on it)
Do you still think there is salt in it still?

It's hard to say. It's better to take your time and do it right vs rushing it. Gotta remember it has to soak up water to sink and if it was in the ocean it soaked up salt water so the saltyness can go all the way into the wood.

PC1 said:
It's hard to say. It's better to take your time and do it right vs rushing it. Gotta remember it has to soak up water to sink and if it was in the ocean it soaked up salt water so the saltyness can go all the way into the wood.

Yes but after I boiled it for an hour it still floated until this morning I found it sinking

being you found it on the beach in Galveston, I would boil it several times, soak it, let it dry and repeat. I would worry about the off shore oil platforms and the oils which come off them. I would take care and not rush it.

bobc4d said:
being you found it on the beach in Galveston, I would boil it several times, soak it, let it dry and repeat. I would worry about the off shore oil platforms and the oils which come off them. I would take care and not rush it.

Ok I was think ing of tha

bobc4d said:

I was thinking of that. Ok I will do it for a week of so. Will my java fern be okay just sitting on top of the substrate?

Back
Top Bottom