Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think that this is the best category for this since its for a planted tank. I found some really nice dw at a lake and a river! I found the first piece at a lake yesterday. It was actually along a small stream leading to the lake. It has defiantly been in water (had some parts where I would see it had and it was wet and was mostly in water). I have boiled it for about 3-4 hours. A lot of tannis have come out and now it's water logged. The piece still smells bad... I don't want to bleach it and it's an awesome piece! Any suggestions?! I found several more pieces on the edge of a small river. I have them boiling right now. I also dropped a little bit of vinegar on the piece from yesterday and it didn't bubble/fizz at all! Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think that this is the best category for this since its for a planted tank. I found some really nice dw at a lake and a river! I found the first piece at a lake yesterday. It was actually along a small stream leading to the lake. It has defiantly been in water (had some parts where I would see it had and it was wet and was mostly in water). I have boiled it for about 3-4 hours. A lot of tannis have come out and now it's water logged. The piece still smells bad... I don't want to bleach it and it's an awesome piece! Any suggestions?! I found several more pieces on the edge of a small river. I have them boiling right now. I also dropped a little bit of vinegar on the piece from yesterday and it didn't bubble/fizz at all! Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

keep boiling, some people bake it or sun dry it. Then you can use it.

How many hours of boiling does it need? Also it kind of stinks... Will that be bad?

I let each piece boil for about 4 hours + one piece didn't fit in the pot so I'm soaking it in bleach water. I'm going to make sure it's very well rinsed out! Then I'm going to soak them all in water with prime and then put them in their aquariums! If I'm doing it wrong please say so!

I tend to disagree with using bleach with the wood,could be a potential contaminant as I'd be worried about it leaching out of the dw long after it is placed...potentially disastrous,proceed with care...good luck..

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

I rinsed it out well and couldn't smell any left at all. I just put one piece into my tank and it's amazing ?

What's the point of asking for advice if you're just gonna do what you want anyway...I guess some of us just gotta take our lumps...Like I said,good luck.

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

Well I asked 2 hours ago... If I got a respons soon I would've done more about it, but the piece I put in wasn't in the bleach just incase.. Wish I could post pics but my account is acting up! Tied some Java moss on and it's super cool

Smell isn't a problem. I have used some stinky driftwood in my tank for over two years and everything's fine.
You should soak the bleached piece in a bucket of water for a few days then boil it again just to be safe.

I'm soaking the bleached piece right now. I couldn't boil it which is why I soaked it. We didn't have a pot it would fit into so I couldn't boil it..

Back
Top Bottom