Drilled 120 making noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jester1026

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently upgraded from a 58 to a 120 and have noticed that the overflow on one side has started making the "flushing toilet" sound. Does anyone have ideas on how to make it stop?

Do you have a durso stand pipe for the drain?

Also, how far below the water line is the outlet for your overflow drain in the sump? If it is more than a couple of inches, it can cause some excess noise as the overflow line fills, burps, dumps water, fills, burbs, dumps water, etc.

There are durso pipes on both overflows and the lines are barely under the water in the sump.

They came with the tank. Both have holes. Should I make them bigger?

maybe, it could help. It won't hurt. If you post a pic, it may help determine if they are properly sized.

How is the tank plumbed? Is it flexible tubing from the bulkheads to the sump, or PVC?

I switched my tank from flexible tubing to PVC and it reduced noise substantially.

Flexible from union to sump.

Attachments

• image-1042954207.jpg
    image-1042954207.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 59
yeah, hole looks big enough to me -

I would consider going to PVC with a 90 leg in there somewhere. It did wonders on my tank. You can wait for further advice though - some one might have a better idea.

Back
Top Bottom