Dropsy AND ich D:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I have had the temp up at 86 degrees to treat my recent ich outbreak . Today I noticed that one of my guppys scales on her stomach were pine coned. It's been a bad week for me ....

Is there anything I can do for my dropsy girl?

Terribly sorry to hear that she's showing signs of dropsy. I've battled it three times over the past few years, lost twice and euthanized the third fish (just so happens all 3 were guppies) to reduce suffering. I've read and researched a ton over it as well.
To be honest, it is hard to remedy because the cause is hard to determine-can be a result of tumors, intestinal blockage, internal parasites, viruses, and so on. I had luck with salt baths but it only seemed to temorarily help.
That said, you can try the good old fashioned salt bath, or some medicated foods. I wish I had a definite remedy for you, and wish you luck.

Thanks. I did notice her belly bloating out a few days before the scales popped out. Would I be better off euthanizing her? I don't want to treat her only for her to die....

I have to agree with Derail- dropsy is very difficult to treat. Dropsy is actually a symptom of disease and not a disease itself. It possible causes are numerous (bacterial infections, parasites, viruses, water quality, etc). Once a fish has pineconed, there is permanent damage to the internal organs (namely the kidneys) and the fish's body is not able to properly process fluids any longer. There are aggressive treatments that members of the goldfish community have had success with treating dropsied fish but you would need to enlist the aid of an aquatic vet for this. I would consider euthanasia because she is likely suffering. I am sorry :(

Ok, well I read this article that said what you said. It's a sign of internal something. It can be a blockage of the digestive system too though. I think I'll put her out of her pain....

Back
Top Bottom