dwarf gourami sick help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah...tough to lose a fishie. Not only that you worry for the little guy, but you feel ashamed too. You feel like you did something wrong, that you suck as an aquarist, etc. But I think nobody never lost a fish, nobody never did a mistake, but I feel that in your case, too much inbreeding, raised by Asians who give them stuff to reproduce more, and the selection for the wonderful metallic/stripped pattern. Those are fragile too. I heard they can be wounded easily by decorations.

For myself, for now, even though I'm have more experience now than 5-10 years ago (of course!), I prefer to choose hardy fish, and concentrate on the aquascaping. (Yes, my Green Mandarin is not in that category, but it was so cute, couldn't resist, and I was lucky, it eats everyday!!) Even a squad of Black Tetra (which are not the most beautiful fish IMO) can look beautiful in a carefully aquascaped tank.

For hospital tanks, etc, seriously, I don't think it's worth it. Too much money, time, and in the end, doesnt work (in my experience, maybe others got luckier than me), and more the fish suffers, I don't think you're a bad aquarist if you put a sick fish to sleep.

Now, I'd make big water changes for the next weeks, look at your other fish if they're ok. If they get sick too, you'll have to remove everything that's alive, and put nothing in there before 6 weeks.

With my new tank, I was planning to quarantine my fish, but didn't. I think I'll set up my lil 10g for that for my next fish. Lots of stuff in there now, and you made me worry! You would have seen that the lil guy was sick, or just sucked because his brother was his uncle at the same time. Not that I do it, I was lucky for now, but would be very angry to loose all my livestock for one specimen.

Back
Top Bottom