Dwarf gourami with lump on side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessl17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a dwarf gourami that I have had for a couple months now with no issues. I woke up two days ago and noticed he wasn’t eating like he usually does. I have also noticed he has a lump which appears to only be on one side though at times it appears both sides are swollen. I have done a lot of searching and it seems as though it could be a few things. I have not seen him poo ? in this time and he is generally a scared guy and every time I check on him he is in the front of the tank near the top often going up for air it seems. I’m hoping it’s only constipation however I have read so many things saying salt bath but most ratios are completely different and I don’t want to kill my fish trying to help him. I’ve also read peas but if he’s not eating I don’t think that would work. I do 30% water changes every week and all of my parameters are fine so it’s nothing in my water quality that has spiked or is off wack. If anyone could give me some advice to help this little guy out it would be appreciated. I have included some pictures. Thanks

Attachments

• AF0968E3-CE5C-44BB-B338-D5B5FA97F49E.jpg
    AF0968E3-CE5C-44BB-B338-D5B5FA97F49E.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 406
  • 60E76BD0-44A4-4275-B909-BE78E1719DCE.jpg
    60E76BD0-44A4-4275-B909-BE78E1719DCE.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 267
  • EF38379D-5E65-4003-ADD3-922E666D74D4.jpg
    EF38379D-5E65-4003-ADD3-922E666D74D4.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 264
I doubt it is constipation. I would guess maybe internal bacterial infection of some sort. I would treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic and see if that helps. It could be a tumor, but the changing appearance doesn't seem conducive to that.
Just a heads up, dwarf gourami tend to have a lot of issues. You can find healthy ones, but experiences such as yours are very, very common where they seem to come down with various issues pretty readily in the weeks to months after purchase. Since your water is tested, I doubt that is the issue. I don't tell you this to be pessimistic, only so you don't beat yourself up thinking it is your fault. :)

I doubt it is constipation. I would guess maybe internal bacterial infection of some sort. I would treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic and see if that helps. It could be a tumor, but the changing appearance doesn't seem conducive to that.
Just a heads up, dwarf gourami tend to have a lot of issues. You can find healthy ones, but experiences such as yours are very, very common where they seem to come down with various issues pretty readily in the weeks to months after purchase. Since your water is tested, I doubt that is the issue. I don't tell you this to be pessimistic, only so you don't beat yourself up thinking it is your fault. :)

^^ This + 1 ^^
Look into Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus ;

Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus (DGIV)

The quality of the dwarf gouramis in the trade has steadily declined for years, with batches of fish showing significantly higher levels of mortality than 10 years ago. Historically, retailers and aquarists have blamed bacterial infections, such as fish tuberculosis (Mycobacterium marinum). In recent years, though, attention has focused on a virus known as dwarf gourami iridovirus or DGIV.
Dwarf gourami iridovirus is apparently specific to the dwarf gourami (Colisa lalia), including the various fancy varieties of the species, such as neon gouramis and sunset gouramis. Infected fish develop a variety of symptoms, including loss of color, decrease in activity and appetite, the appearance of sores and lesions on the body, abdominal swelling and finally death. This fish disease is highly contagious, completely untreatable and invariably fatal.
Dwarf gourami iridovirus is apparently very common. One recent study of fish exported from Singapore found that 22 percent of all dwarf gouramis carried the virus. Aquarists should never purchase dwarf gouramis from fish aquariums containing fish exhibiting symptoms consistent with the dwarf gourami iridovirus, and all new fish should be quarantined for at least six weeks prior to being placed in the main fish aquarium.
For most aquarists, my best advice is to keep the hardier alternatives to dwarf gouramis. The thick-lipped gourami (Colisa labiosa) and the banded gourami (Colisa fasciatus) are both similar in size, temperament and coloration and make excellent alternatives.

taken from
https://www.petcha.com/fish-viral-disease/

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking this also however none of my other fish seem to be affected. I just got done treating the tank due to other fish having white spots on them. I just finished a 10 day treatment with Artemiss and herbtana per my lfs.. so if there was any type of infection this should have taken care of that? I guess I was hoping that it was as simple as constipation. But it doesn’t seem like this may be the case. Is there any other medications you would suggest trying? And should I put him in a QT tank? Or treat the whole tank? Sorry for so many questions

Dawrf gouramis are relly sensitive to water so check that mines bloated out and was acting like that once when my water wasnt right and it looked just like yours,but he also had internal parasites which might of had something to do with it.i treated with api general cure and hes fine now,but the bloating went away when i got the water back right

Back
Top Bottom