Dwarf lionfish and green mandarin goby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaudlee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
basically my main question is can these two coexist peacefully? I have heard different opinions and was wondering if anybody has had any experience with this situation. 55g reef, mostly live rock, sand substrate. already have the green mandarin, was looking into getting the dwarf lion soon. any advice?
thanks

Extremely unlikely to work. The only possibility (and I would consider this to be remote) would be a Fu Manchu Lion, as they only reach about 5 inches long paired with a mature, adult mandarin (3-4 inches long).
Now, the Mandarin is very rarely preyed upon because it's mucous coating is possibly toxic, definitely tastes bad to other fish. But it's still a huge gamble and I wouldn't risk it.

thanks guys I am trying to think of other options to make my tank that much better. any suggestions for other cool, abnormal fish?

If u could get the Mandarin to jump thru a hoop it would b both cool and abnormal

Dwarf lions of different species can sometimes coexist, as long as they are not too similar. But you'll probably want at least one active swimmer. Aim for something larger than the lion. So, for a Dwarf Lion, an exquisite wrasse (my personal centerpiece fish), rabbit fish (also venomous, can have a theme!), dwarf angels (make sure to get a mature one! Also not reef safe), etc. are all good options. If you don't have fish that can be bullied, a school of damsels would do well with a dwarf lion, though some might end up food for a volitans lion.
Tangs do well with Lions, even full sized lions, but not in a 55. If you want a really wicked cool fish that is super ugly (beauty an the beast, anyone?) how about an angler? Saw one at the LFS, and the darn thing had ELBOWS!

haha i like the angler idea, some ugly azz fish but very cool, i have never ordered a fish online so it is really up to what the LFS has at the time, time will tell!

took a ride up to a new fish store about an hour away, well worth it, huge selection. Some species i have never seen! Look forward to the next trip

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom