Dwarf Platy / Giant Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EtherealGirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 10g tank is nearly 4 months old. Cycle completed (readings amm=0; nitrite=0; nitrate=10). My starter fish (did a fish-in cycle cuz didn't know better) were 2 dwarf platys, both males. They both made it thru the cycle and seemed just fine health-wise. After cycle completed (2 months ago) I added 2 fancy male guppies (1 died of osmotic shock...I didn't know how to acclimate; the other is still going strong). About 2 weeks later I added a new male guppy and 2 glofish (1 glofish died suddenly, even tho I did a painstaking acclimation; the male guppy & remaining glofish are fine). About 2 weeks after that I added another glofish and an oto (who got caught in the filter intake & survived, but that's another story!)

Once the glofish joined the community, the glofish and the guppies started acting more aggressively than had been the case before. The guppies tended to chase and hassle my favorite platy (Skye). About 2 weeks ago, that Platy started acting strangely: hovering at the surface in the corner by the heater, losing interest in food. Over the past 2 weeks, he's seemed a bit better for breif moments (swimming around a little, eating a bit of food, or at least swimming towards the food as if he's gonna eat it). But mostly, he just hangs there, like he's sleeping.

I've put it off to stress and so I have removed the guppies and glofish. Now it's just the 2 platys (they're pals) and the oto in the 10g. I have tried offering different types of food: no interest. I tried blanched peas & garlic (all mashed up): no interest. I think it's been at least a week since I've seen him actually ingest anything. I have examined him closely and for long periods of time: I see no signs of injury nor any white / other discoloration. The few times he does swim out into the tank, he has no "disorientation" (like swim bladder symptoms). However, today I noticed he seems bloated: I don't know what you call it, but he's swollen in the area forward of his pelvic fins and below & forward of his pectoral fins (sort of below his throat).

I am at a loss to figure out what this is. I've asked other websites and gotten little help besides "try peas". In the entire time I've had him, I must say I have never noticed him pooping (just assumed he did it when I wasn't watching). So I'm wondering: is he constipated (and if so, how do I cure it if he won't eat peas or anything)? Is it some other illness / disease?

If anyone has similar experience or advice, I would be grateful to hear from you. Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom