Dying molly babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got some molly babies from the pet store yesterday. There were ten. Today, there are only four left. I am trying to figure out what's killing them and what I can do to keep the four remaining ones alive.

The babies seemed healthy last night, no symptoms. Ammonia is 0, Nitrites 0, nitrates I don't have a kit for yet, not sure of ph. The tank is a five gallon with a sponge filter. It was a betta tank before, and I have been using it on and off as a fry tank. There are eight platy fry (a week old) in it, and all are doing fine. There are also several dozen small snails. It has clumps of java moss. I've been keeping the temperature at 80, but last night I left the window open and it dropped to 76. Now it is back up to 80. I am thinking the temperature change stressed out the fish too much, its the only thing I can think may have happened. I have been feeding hikari first bites to all the babies. I've been feeding them about five times a day by dipping a toothpick in the food and putting it in the water, trying to be careful not to overfeed. I acclimated the baby mollies the same way I acclimate all fish- by floating the bag for fifteen minutes, letting in some water, waiting a little while longer, then removing the bag after letting the fish swim out. I last cleaned the tank on Wednesday, but didn't vacuum the gravel because I was afraid I'd vacuum up the fry with it.

I know sometimes fry just don't make it, but I really feel terrible. Any ideas on how to keep the remaining babies healthy?

how big are the mollies? Are you talking fry, or are you talking 1/2" juvies?

They had just been born at the lfs, so just a few hours old (or even younger) when I got them.

when acclimating new fish, one should try to avoid mixing water from different tanks. Reason I say this is diseases can come from the water, not just fish who are already diseased. I usually use the same method as you do, except after 20 mins or so I scoop the fish out with a net and drop them in the water, instead of letting them out, thus mixing the lfs water with the tank water. It could be that something got in with the water and the temp drop made the fry susceptible to whatever came in. I raised molly fry once and I had something going on with the tank and I didn't manage to rear too many. I think its safe to say that fry are more delicate then adult fish when it comes to their health.

Back
Top Bottom