Eel purchasing assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishboy-from-NY

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is a list of my tank equipment and the fish that I currently have in my tank. I need for anyone to give me advice on what eel from the following can I add since I would like to add another one in my tank. please let me know if thats possible. Also, what other ones that would not grow too big would you recommend to share a home with Randell-My current (SnowFlake eel).

Eels that I am considering:
1) Ghost Eel (Uropterygius concolor)
2) Blue Ribbon Eel (Rhinomuraena Quaesita)

Tank information:
150 GALLON FISH ONLY-Saltwater
110 Pounds of Live Sand
2-Ehiem 2217 Filters
1-EcoAqualizor
1-Maxi Reef 200 Wet/Dry
1-25 Watt Sterilizer
1-Natulis TE Skimmer
1-1/4hp Drop-in Chiller

Current fish in the Tank:
1-Niger Trigger-3 In-Max size growth 12in.
1 Humu Trigger-3in-Max size growth 1F 2in.
2 Yellow Tangs-8in-Max size growth 10in.
1 Purple Tang-7in-Max size growth 12in.
1 Green Bird Wrasse-7in-Max size growth 1F 7in
1 Snowflake Eel-1F-Max size growth 2F
1 Watchman Goby-5in-Max size growth 7in.
1-Flame Angel-3in-Max size growth 6in
9-3 Stripe damsels-1/2-1inMax size growth 3in
(really don't care for them).

I dont know about the ghost eel but the ribbon eel from what I understand is very tempermental when it comes to eating. Some will get an eel and never get it to take food where as others wont have a problem. So one thing is to make sure its eating at the lfs. As to watch it eat, find out how long they have had it in their tanks, etc.

Even for a 150 gal tank you have quite a fish load in there now.

Eels

Definitely agree with Fishfreek a ribbon eel will probably not be the best choice unless you have alot of time to spend working with it. You will probably need to provide alot of live feeders at first and will have to try to feed using a stick.

Thanks for the info amigos, I currently feed my Snowflake eel with a feeding stick and I know that I have a huge Bio load in my tank now. I was just curious since I would like more action in the bottom of my tank. :lol:

Eels will not give you action in your tank. They are mostly sedintary.

Hmm, normally a content eel is not very active, until night time. My eel tank has 4 in there and the snowflake is close to 3 ft long. He cruises each night but during the day stays rather quiet. As do the other 3 eels.

Does your have rocks to burrow under?

Eels are like everything else their behaviors are all different. Some are very active and other very sedintary. The snowflake eel I had a few years ago was very active.

I dont know if i agree bulldog. I would be concerned with my water params if my eel became eoverly active. I have watched as friends of mine didnt take notice of their eels circling the tank, only to have the eel die from stress! My eel, is very inactive during the day. He is fat and lazy. He hides in his rocks till the dusk cycle of his tank starts then he will show himself, but he doesnt swim the tank. He just pokes his head out from different holes like he is hunting. He knows his feeding schedule also. He comes out for his feedings, and he hunts the food on my feeding tonges, which is really kool to watch. When he is full, he goes back to his rock and pokes his head out to watch the other fish eat.

One part is settled as far as the ribbon eel is concern, it not be a suitable eel for your SF as a tank mate. Now if this tank is the 150, i not know the other tank mates with the SF, but either eel you go with, will do fine. Now know this, The name you gave with its common name they not go together. I know, you do see it that the Ghost Eel is with the name (Uropterygius concolor) which is really a snake eel :eek:
You see, the name that goes with (Uropterygius concolor) is Unicolor snake moray and the name that goes with the Ghost Moray is (Gymnothorax phasmatodes) 8O You will know that at sites or fish stores that these names do get mix in with other species.
Happy New Years Folks :D
Buddy ><{{{{">

Back
Top Bottom