Epoxy to fix small PVC leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone use this stuff? Devcon epoxy?

Amazon.com: Devcon I T W #44229 2OZ Repair Epoxy Putty: Home Improvement

Searching through old posts I found someone claiming they used epoxy to stop a slow pvc joint leak. I've got one cemented joint with a very slow drip. I know silicone is not the solution on PVC and I'd rather not cut this thing off and start again - although I obviously will if it's the only way to go.

Thanks.

I have had that happen too. What I did was stop running water through that pipe dry the area really well and I just used PVC cement on the joint. It worked for me. silicone will eventually "let go" of the pvc.

If you have the option of shutting of the water temporarily I would go with Ziggy's suggestion. turn it off and dry it as well as you can, and smear the whole joint with the pvc joint cement you would use when putting it together and it should crawl up into the crack. Then just give it an hour or so to set and turn the water back on.

HTH

I did try this last night and it appears to have solved the problem. Thanks.

Its worked for me on the few occasions that Ive had to use it. Its a nice last resort.

If you want epoxy in the future try a Marine grade epoxy putty. That stuff is awsome, though it is not flexible when dry. Glad to hear you could get away without using it though.

Back
Top Bottom