Evaporation - can it be slowed, how much do you have.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just upgraded my lighting to PC, and i had to go with an eggcrate top because of the adjustable brackets, is there anyway to slow the evaporation, i came home to my skimmer running dry because the water line fell below the preskimmer. Anyone have any good ideas? Im losing at least 1-2 gallons a day, i guess i may pick up an RO unit sooner then i thought because im making too many trips to walmart. My house has AC, so its not really from my house being hot.

TIA,

Jeff

Ouch, thats what i was affraid of, what about when i go away over long weekends, would it be alright to unplug skimmer for a couple days to avoid pump from burning out? If it ran dry would it cause a fire? or an electircal short of some sort? Im really considering removing the preskimmer right now.

Thanks again.

- Jeff

most have friends stop by and top off the tank or have a auto top off system. Turing off the skimmer for a few days IMO would not hurt anything.

I really dont have any friends in my area that i would trust with my tank. Ive also heard nightmare stories of those auto top off systems malfunctioning and flooding the place, my apartment manager would have a feild day of damages they would charge me with (2nd floor). Im going away for 2 1/2 weeks in sept. for my honeymoon, would i be able to leave the skimmer off for that long? I have only zoos and star polyps, i do have someone that will watch my tank and feed every 2-3 days, but the less he has to do the better.

Back
Top Bottom