Experience?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone had any personal experience with these fish, and can tell me if they are aggressive or mild. I want real experience please:
Serpae tetra
Rummy nose tetra
Zebra danio
Glowlight tetra
Bolivian ram
German blue ram
Golden ram

Some of these would go in my 20 gallon, I would choose 1 ram and 2 schools of 6-8 schooling fish

Serpe tetras are nipers I got some bad advice from another site that said they were good with angels. Ended up taking them back. The others i realy dont know about

I think the Glowlight are stunning fish and pretty inexpensive, in a nice planted tank they literally glow! Easy to care for and lovely. Don't bother any other fish, for sure do better in a larger group 6-8 min. preferred. Mine sorta school with the Cardinal Tetras.

Serpe tetras are nipers I got some bad advice from another site that said they were good with angels. Ended up taking them back. The others i realy dont know about

Add plus one on that I hate serape tetras killed both my fish

Has anyone had any personal experience with these fish, and can tell me if they are aggressive or mild. I want real experience please:
Serpae tetra
Rummy nose tetra
Zebra danio
Glowlight tetra
Bolivian ram
German blue ram
Golden ram

Some of these would go in my 20 gallon, I would choose 1 ram and 2 schools of 6-8 schooling fish

Zebra danios are beatiful and VERY HARDY one of the most hardiest fish out there I think.

Ok, thanks on that advice. I wish I could do serpaes though, they are really colorful. Good, I like glowlights, and zebra danios, but what about any rams?

Rams are relatively peaceful on their own. In mating pairs they can become aggressive to other fish, particularly to bottom-dwelling fish like corys.

Ok, thanks on that advice. I wish I could do serpaes though, they are really colorful. Good, I like glowlights, and zebra danios, but what about any rams?
You can do serpae tetras just adjust your stock around them. Other fish like tiger barbs can handle the nipping. Reserch the serpae's and see whats compatible. A lot of people will find a main fish they realy want and then set the tank and stock around them.

Ok, right now I am thinking:
1 Bolivian Ram (apparently they are hardier than most rams)
8 Glowlight Tetras
6-8 of either rummy nose tetras or zebra danios

I also want to add that the ph of my tap is ~8, and I have found trouble finding fish that can deal with high ph. I heard that fish can adapt, but I am not quite sure how much they can adapt. Would glowlights and zebra danios be okay in 8 ph?
Any other recommendations?

I have 9 rummynose, 5 neons, 1 German blue ram and one honey gourami in my planted 20h. Everyone gets all along great and aside from a few weak neons I've never had any sick fish or deaths. I did wait about 3-4 months before I added the GBR though.

Edit: Personally, if you know you can get a GBR from a good source (local bred, healthy stock) I'd just do a GBR instead of a Bolivian. Although I would make sure my tank is planted and that I patiently wait several months until my tank has matured a bit.

and am not going to plant my tank. are rummynose good schoolers in small groups? are they hardy? i don't know which to get of my final three options, glowlight, zebra, and rummynose. i still need to know if they can adapt to the correct ph

Ah, forgot to mention that my tap tests at 8.2 for ph. Plants are recommended because they help reduce nitrate levels, which rams are sensitive to. Rummynose are sensitive during acclimation and maybe the first week or two, but once they are established they are pretty hardy. Again, just target fish that are from a good source. Don't necessarily have to be local bred, but you just don't want to buy stock that may have just come in yesterday. Rummynose are also one of the tightest schooling fish out there, even in small groups.

You want a mature tank for the Germans. I don't have them yet but I am presently preparing a 37G tank for a pair of yellow and pair of blue.

Locally raised ones would be awesome if you can find an breeder. You may be able to check with a local Cichlid association.

The Rams and Rummynose and Glow light would all be great tankmates.

Check out Black Phantoms if you can in an actual petstore, the google pics aren't very good of them they have a really awesome body shape and a really pretty turquoise aqua green sheen. My lfs had these and they were stunningly beautiful.

Ok, that is definitely an option, especially since they can tolerate 7.5 ph, so 8 should be fine. From what I have heard it doesn't really matter what ph it is, as long as they are properly introduced and the ph doesn't fluctuate.

Back
Top Bottom