Extended tentacle on hammer coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulm7373

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone tell me why there is a single extended tentacle on my green hammer and why it's so much longer than the rest? I'm not concerned, just curious if it's a normal thing with hammers.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391249452.445606.jpg

That is a sweeper tentacle that if it comes into contact with other corals will sting the crap out of them.

It may also be testing the water. Did you just do a water change, Or disturbed the hammer an any way before you took the pic. I had a torch that whenever it got disturbed or I changed out the water it would contract. Then slowly would put out a tentacle. I always assumed it was testing the waters to make sure it was safe to fully extend.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's in a good position right now because it's a few inches away from the next closest coral which is that torch you can see in that picture. I also didn't do a water change or move or disturb it in any way just before-hand.

Back
Top Bottom