Fake driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capial

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Guys, I need a little help!

I am putting together a 55G with real plants. I am looking for a nice looking piece of driftwood. My local shop did not have what I am looking for.

I found this:
http://www.aquariumbeauty.com/display_product.jsp?Item_ID=MY-DRI-103

Anyone here has any experience with this type of material? I want to have the look of the real driftwood! Don’t really care if it is real or not

Will this give me that? It is hard by looking at the picture.
Thanks,
Capial

Thanks for the replies

I will be glad to get real driftwood, the problem is all I have seen so far does not come near what I have envisioned for the tank.

Thanks,

Fred

If you have a pleco, I think they need or appreciate real driftwood for their health/digestion. Or at least I have heard that here.... :?

Someone here posted a wonderful website a while back that has actual pictures of each piece of the driftwood they are selling. I lost the link, but I hope someone here has it and will post it.

I like the polyresin pieces of driftwood, no boiling, no waiting for them to sink, no tannins, well worth the money considering the time nad hassle you'll be saving, plus that is a good looking piece

i added a piece of real driftwood from my LFS and i am very happy with it. great shape, size and coloration and i didn't have to deal with soaking to get it to sink or rid it of tannins, as it was already in a tank at the LFS.

i'd so go REAL.

I have a fake tree root and real African root in my tank. Once the algae covered both I can't tell the difference.

Hi,

I bought real driftwood mounted on a base and it looks pretty good (I think). I got it at Big Al's which apparently does lots of online ordering. I have attached pictures.. they are actually pictures that I sent to my friends of the gross rotting shrimp I am cycling with but you can see the driftwood pretty well (as well as the lovely film that has encased my smelly friend).

Cheers,

Elle

Attachments

• imgp0777_814.jpg
    imgp0777_814.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 111
  • imgp0778_162.jpg
    imgp0778_162.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 136
  • imgp0776_673.jpg
    imgp0776_673.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 171
I used to have aquarium-safe polyresin ornaments. They looked amazingly realistic, but over time, the paint started coming off. The paint is also nontoxic, but the ornaments looked so awful, I just decided to replace them with the real thing.

Hi,

I just realised that too and i'm not sure why they didn't work. I am just searching the site now to see if there are instructions for the forum that I haven't seen. In the meantime I will try again (they are pretty funny) - the shrimp has been named and everyone gets a little freaked out when it moves from one place in the aquarium to another (only strange because it stays so stationary for so long and then all of a sudden its in another place- at least I have some entertainment while waiting for the fish!).

haha, i love it when things disappear in my tanks and then show up days later in completely different spots, sometimes inanimate things tend to have a mind of their own ;)

are you using the tags correctly with the img and the /img (in square brackets) before and after your pictures respectively?

No, I don't think so. I tried to use them for attaching images and for quotes but they didn't seem to work. I wonder if it has something to do with my browser? I was able to attach the photos (they were originally too big) but still haven't been able to use the tags.

Elle, I can see your pics. That shrimp looks pretty gross.

I'm with QTOFFER here. I used to have a resin piece of driftwood, and the paint faded and came off after a while. It didn't look very good anymore, so I took it out and got the real thing. Much better. Plus, my fake driftwood was hollow on the inside, and had a hole in it that fish could swim inside. I think I actually found a dead fish in there once. Ewwww.

I got mine locally, but here's some links I found.
http://www.azgardens.com/Driftwood.php
http://www.floridadriftwood.com/subcat.asp?0=200
http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquarium-driftwood.html

I think it was azgardens and floridadriftwood that I've heard really good things about.

Back
Top Bottom