fat fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moheesviolin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gal tank with 6 glofish, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20ppm, pH 7.4. These are all pretty young fish, all under 1 inch, and the tank is pretty new. One of the fish looks like he has a bit of a swollen belly, but is very active (in fact seems a bit of an aquarium bully) and eats well. His belly was not swollen when I got him. He is probably my most aggresive fish and most aggresive eater. Can his swollen belly just be him getting a little fat (do fish get fat?) or is her perhaps developing dropsy?
I'm new at fish!

moheesviolin said:
I have a 20 gal tank with 6 glofish, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20ppm, pH 7.4. These are all pretty young fish, all under 1 inch, and the tank is pretty new. One of the fish looks like he has a bit of a swollen belly, but is very active (in fact seems a bit of an aquarium bully) and eats well. His belly was not swollen when I got him. He is probably my most aggresive fish and most aggresive eater. Can his swollen belly just be him getting a little fat (do fish get fat?) or is her perhaps developing dropsy?
I'm new at fish!

He's probably just bloated fast them a day or two and try feeding a pea ( unshelled )

Check up on the mating habits of glofish. I've heard that the female will build up eggs until a certain point, then sort of spew them out. At that time the male fertilizes them and they land where ever. So, are you sure "he" isn't a "she?"

I actually have no idea what the gender of the fish are...they are essentially zebra danios with an extra gene or two. But I believe the company that holds the patent and breeds/sells them sterilizes the ones they sell. They are also pretty young (or just really small). So I don't think the fish is preggers (or rather, carrying eggs).

yeah, I tried to get shots of him/her...like I said, probably my most active fish, I can't get it to hold still long enough for a shot! And if I open the top, they all figure it is feeding time and swim like crazy.

moheesviolin said:
yeah, I tried to get shots of him/her...like I said, probably my most active fish, I can't get it to hold still long enough for a shot! And if I open the top, they all figure it is feeding time and swim like crazy.

Try taking a video and then you can edit it and choose frames from that.

Back
Top Bottom