Feeding snails to figure 8 puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tqy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 5 gallon bucket ramshorn snail culture and breeding seems to be slow after the initial population boom when I first got them. I'm aware that figure 8 puffers have teeth that constantly grow and that I would need to feed the puffers snails in order to maintain their teeth. What i want to know is how often do I feed them snails? I currently feed my puffer 3-4 adult ramshorn snails per week. Is that sufficient? I'm worried about running out of ramshorn snails to feed my puffer which is why I only feed them occasionally.

They like shrimp too. Ghost shrimp where I'm at are 4 for $1.

I've also heard, but have zero experience in it, that no matter the amount of crustaceans you feed them, eventually you have to file back their teeth multiple times. Just what I've heard.

I have a little experience with puffers but I have never filed back their teeth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd like to more about the figure-8's captivity requirements, myself. I have three who seem to be doing fine and gobbling up all the snails I put in the tank. The place is littered with partially-eaten snail shells! I recently went 2 months without adding any new snails and the old shells just got smaller during that time.

They like shrimp too. Ghost shrimp where I'm at are 4 for $1.

I've also heard, but have zero experience in it, that no matter the amount of crustaceans you feed them, eventually you have to file back their teeth multiple times. Just what I've heard.

I have a little experience with puffers but I have never filed back their teeth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How do I file their teeth?

Don't panic, feed any hard shelled stuff they will accept.
Finely chopped mussel (frozen blister packed) if they learn to accept this, works.
Sometimes, during snail shortages, I go down to less than one snail a week.
My puffer is fine........

Don't panic, feed any hard shelled stuff they will accept.
Finely chopped mussel (frozen blister packed) if they learn to accept this, works.
Sometimes, during snail shortages, I go down to less than one snail a week.
My puffer is fine........

Can I feed them frozen cooked mussels?

Honestly I haven't tried.
I assume you mean prepared for humans?
I don't really see why not?
Lots of people scale up the feeding or food type for larger fish. You may need to blend them a bit, I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom