Feeding some Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
I feel bad feeding my "goldfish" (a Black Moor and a Comet) the same goldfish flakes day after day. Are there other foods that I can supplement their diet with?

I would switch to Omega One sinking goldfish pellets. With flakes, the goldfish take gulps of air each time trying to get the flakes, that being said, It gives them more of a chance to get Swim bladder disease, using sinking pellets brings that risk down ;)

Hmmm, interesting I never knew that. thanks. Besides that is there many other foods they'll eat?

Actually, goldfish will eat lots of "people food" ... good choices are:
1. Chopped up (cooked) salad shrimp. <They love shrimps!.>
2. Peas - blanched, shelled & chopped. <Great for constipation.>
3. Cucumbers & zucchini - sliced & blanched, cut rounds in half so they can get into the middle.
4. Other leafy veggies - generally you need to blanch it to soften & feed on a veggie clip ... this is hit & miss, some fish like certain veggies, some won't touch it.
5. Tiny bits of chopped sardines or other fish.
6. Small amount of fruits - oranges, pears, apples.

If you are really ambitious, you can cook for your goldfish. There are recipes of gel food for goldfish, involving chopped sardines, pureed veggies, added vits & gelatins.

Otherwise, sinking pellets supplemented with whole foods is a good diet for your fish.

Thanks, next time I go to the store maybe I'll pick up some things for them, like I said I would feel terrible if all I had every day was flakes. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom