Feeding the Firefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TKEON230

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got a question about the feeding habbits of my new firefish. The firefish is the first and only fish in my tank right now. I've purchased some fresh shrimp from the local supermarket that I've thawed and chopped up to feed her. When I add the shrimp to the water she nips at it a bit and then it sinks so fast that she really can't get too big of a bite. Once it hits the bottom of the tank she doesn't touch it again. My hermit crabs and snails then smell the shrimp and go over and pick at the remains. While doing this they sometimes let some pieces float into the current and the firefish will swallow whatever floats by her.

I'm afraid that the firefish isn't getting a full serving of food because she refuses to eat off the ground. I know it is not a problem of her not liking the taste of the food because she does eat what she can before it falls. Is there any solution to this? Do I need to chop the shrimp finer? I thought I was chopping it as small as I could with a knife. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Use a blender to make it smaller. I would certainly vary the diet as well, Try offering specialized marine pellets, flake and/ or frozen once in a while as well :)

I too use a blender for virtually all fish foods including nori. If you offer dried foods choose pellet over flake, but do incorporate a larger menu such as krill, clam, mysis, cyclop-eeze, fish, etc. At work all our food comes frozen so don't be afraid to use frozen foods (you can look online for quality frozen aquarium foods and see who might carry such in your area).

Are there any issues with flake food putting bad chemicals in the water such as perservatives? This is my third attempt at setting up a FOWLR tank and I'm trying to do everything right from the start this time (RO/DI water vs tap water, small frequent water changes vs large infrequent water changes, adding timid fish first vs last, etc.).

Flake is nutritionally incomplete and degrades further as water breaks it down. Pellet at least holds the nutrient composition within and the fish can swallow it whole. Flake is notorious for phosphate introduction, moreso than most food stocks.

I will also add flake food does not keep well, per DR. Dietrich Untergasser, as the it will degrade the nutrition and possibly grow bacteria. I don't know the exact quote as my Hand Book of Fish Diseases is at work.

Back
Top Bottom