Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DawgFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think I may have pigs, not fish.

36g bow front

2 Opaline Gourami
2 Clown Loaches
3 Red Wag Platypus
3 Long Fin Zebra Danio
2 Balloon Molly

I am going by the rule of thumb that they should eat what you put in within 3 - 5 minutes which they do. However I feel like I am feeding them too much; not frequency but amount. I feed them twice per day. I am also concerned that the gouramis are eating most of the food and not allowing the other to eat so I have been tossing in 2 algae wafers each da which the Balloons and Loaches love. I believe that my current feeding habits are contributing to a spike in ammo levels.

What should I be feeding them, How much should I be feeding the, and at what frequency?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!!

Fish need a lot less food than most think. Feeding a variety once a day, and skip one day a week, is plenty.

Feeding once a day is fine. You could try feeding the gourami on one end and the other fish at the other end. ALso FYI your clown loaches do best in groups AND get very large and will need a 125+ gal tank for a group of adults. Not sure what size they are now but as they grow (along with your other fish) they will contribute to ammonia levels as well, so will the other fish. I'd try to rehome the clowns as they are putting you way over your stocking capacity for the tank.

All the fish are small. the clowns are 1 in. I intend on starting a 75g in the next several months. Given the small size of all the fish, I do not feel that I am currently overstocked however I agree with you as they increase in size.

Feeding Fish

I think I may have pigs, not fish.

36g bow front

2 Opaline Gourami
2 Clown Loaches
3 Red Wag Platypus
3 Long Fin Zebra Danio
2 Balloon Molly

I am going by the rule of thumb that they should eat what you put in within 3 - 5 minutes which they do. However I feel like I am feeding them too much; not frequency but amount. I feed them twice per day. I am also concerned that the gouramis are eating most of the food and not allowing the other to eat so I have been tossing in 2 algae wafers each da which the Balloons and Loaches love. I believe that my current feeding habits are contributing to a spike in ammo levels.

What should I be feeding them, How much should I be feeding the, and at what frequency?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!!

Hello D...

Fish have very small stomachs, about the size of one of their eyes. It doesn't take much to fill it. I feed a variety of frozen and a small pellet just twice a week. If you feed too much, algae becomes a problem.

In their natural living places, fish eat once a week, if they're lucky. That's the way nature does it and fish are lean and healthy. Unless you have fry in the tank you don't need to feed much. Feed a little, just what will be eaten in a couple of minutes tops. This way, the fish are always looking for the leftovers. They get their exercise and your tank stays cleaner, longer.

B

Based on the feedback, my fish have been over fed. BIG TIME!!! I will make the necessary adjustments. THANKS to ALL!

I feed shrimp and bloodworms with a syringe so i can feed each fish just to mske sure they all eat well as i have a marble goby and eel that are shy and dont fet much of the food normaly. It works well and is fun!

BBradbury said:
Hello D...

Fish have very small stomachs, about the size of one of their eyes. It doesn't take much to fill it. I feed a variety of frozen and a small pellet just twice a week. If you feed too much, algae becomes a problem.

In their natural living places, fish eat once a week, if they're lucky. That's the way nature does it and fish are lean and healthy. Unless you have fry in the tank you don't need to feed much. Feed a little, just what will be eaten in a couple of minutes tops. This way, the fish are always looking for the leftovers. They get their exercise and your tank stays cleaner, longer.

B

Idk if that's true my catfish and Bichir can eat A LOT! I swear my Bichir is half snake because he can eat a piece of shrimp as big as his head. Lol

Back
Top Bottom