Filter cartridge changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopeGR

Aquarium Advice Activist
So how often do we need to change the filter cartridge? I have it in since Dec 2, and the water still looks clear but not pristine. I had read that some people don't change it until the cartridge literally looks like it's falling apart. I have rinsed it only once and that was 2 weeks ago. I'm just going by the look of the water, which looks a bit hazy up at the quarter top of the tank.

Also, do we need to ever take apart the filter and clean it out?

Don't clean out the filter. Your beneficial bacteria lives in there. There are 2 schools of media thought, 1 says change when dirty or monthly. The other says you destroy bb and it should only be done no sooner than every 6 months. ?? What kind of filter is it? A hang on the back style?

Don't clean out the filter. Your beneficial bacteria lives in there. There are 2 schools of media thought, 1 says change when dirty or monthly. The other says you destroy bb and it should only be done no sooner than every 6 months. ?? What kind of filter is it? A hang on the back style?

Interesting, and yes I heard something similar. I got the 20 gallon Top Fin LED tank in Nov, and I was told any filter sold with a tank is garbage. So I decided to go with product reviews and I went with the Aqueon I think it's called. I was going to go with that brand for the tank too, but Top Fin was $25 cheaper for the same size so I went with that. And call me crazy, with all the sales going on, I bought a 12 month replacement set, as well as an additional 6 more cartridges just in case I need my ten gallon that I upgraded from.

So what school of thought do you follow? I just miss that pristine crystal clear look of the tank, and that hazy up top - though just a bit - drives me crazy.

I might need to do a water change too, which might be why it's hazy. So we never clean out the filter you say?

No, not the inside of the filter, that grows your good bacteria. When I change my filter pad I dump the old brown water from the inside out in a bucket, but I don't rinse out the filter. That brown, slimy gunk is loaded with your beneficial bacteria. I personally change my hob filter pads monthly. A couple have sponges and I just swish it in a bucket of tank water a little too clean the most part. My canisters go for a couple of months. I'm sure some on here will say do different, but that's how I maintain mine. Depending on my tank stocking numbers, I vacuum gravel and do a 25-33% water change weekly or monthly. And like I said, then monthly change media, wipe the inside of the lids with a plain old paper towel with nothing on it, and scrape off any algae growing on the glass , etc

I have a top fin hob filter. It works good. The only complaint I have with it is after a power interruption it doesn't self prime and start again. So I put it away for a backup and changed all my hob's to tetra whispers. They don't work any better, just the motor is in the tank under water, so they self prime. I also have 2 aquaclear 110's that have huge flow and work fantastic, and an aquaclear 70. Love those. But the gph is too high for my few small tanks

Yes, it's a HOB filter. So monthly changes is okay. The box itself says change every 4 - 6 weeks, so from Dec 2 being the last time, I guess it's about due.

I've been doing monthly for 20 years with no ill effects. Others do differently tho. As long as your water parameters stay good, that's the main goal anyway

I'll do the same then. The Top Fin filter that actually came with the tank is one that's immersed in the tank and doesn't hang from the outside. Maybe it would have been good, don't know. Speaking of which, I bought Top Fin crumbles fish food and it's full of fish meal! Which I read is no good??!!

I threw my filter cartridges in the trash with my HOB filter and made my own replacements with sponges, filter floss and bio balls in a mesh bag where filter cartridges used to go. Just take them out and rinse monthly. You can also use a polishing pad to get immediately clear water, but you’ll be replacing them often.

I threw my filter cartridges in the trash with my HOB filter and made my own replacements with sponges, filter floss and bio balls in a mesh bag where filter cartridges used to go. Just take them out and rinse monthly. You can also use a polishing pad to get immediately clear water, but you’ll be replacing them often.

I can't say I'm that creative! However, I hate that I can't recycle them but cause more garbage...

Yeah I didn’t like that concept either and once I figured out the mechanics of the filtration, it’s fairly easy to replicate. They make cartridges like that just to make you buy more and more often... there are many filtration alternatives if you start to nerd out like I have on this, haha

Back
Top Bottom