Filter cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dhvans

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi how long do you leave external filter till you clean and what routine do you do

Dh...

I service the filter system every time I change the tank water, which for me, is weekly. If you have a mechanical system, you'll need to take it apart and clean the pieces with a long, narrow brush. The media can be rinsed in some of the old tank water. Put the filter back together and you're good until the next water change.

B

You don't need to clean the filter every week, canisters you clean maybe once every 3 months, hob's with sponge/media which I have (aquaclear) I clean in tank water every month or 1.5 months

Just finished cycling my tank so not yet cleaned filter.Thinking of cleaning filter every two weeks as it all pond solutions filter 1400 with uv.Or should I clean it every week after water change like you said cheers

Dh...

If you take good care of the tank water, you don't need to service the filtration system as often, the filter is simply filtering water that's already clean. I use dual sponge filters, so there's very little time needed to clean them. Use your judgement. When you change the water, check the filter to see how it's working. If everything appears normal, wait until the next water change.

B

Hi how long do you leave external filter till you clean and what routine do you do

I use Aquaclears. I try to keep them on a monthly cleaning schedule, but I'll do maintenance if I notice the water flow is getting restricted, or something, such as the media basket rising (1), indicates the sponges are clogged.

(1) Which usually happens as I'm ready to go to bed or in the middle of fixing dinner. :bad-words:

I use Eheim classic canisters with just bio-media and a rough sponge. If I see a flow reduction, I backwash the canister with tank water and that usually fixes it. If it slows down again soon, I'll pour it out for a more thorough cleaning. Couple times a year, maybe. (My tanks are lightly stocked, so YMMV) I also have a sponge on the intake that is rinsed off weekly.

I use a small internal filter for removing small particles; it's just stuffed with poly-fil. I take that out and rinse it under the tap every week or so, and replace the stuffing when it won't rinse reasonably clean any more.

Bit of a coincidence. After posting in this thread yesterday, I came home today to find the basket on one of my Aquaclears had lifted about half-way out of the box, like an elevator. That's a clear sign the sponge is clogged, so instead of fixing dinner, I had to break down the filter again after having done that last Sunday. Joy. :banghead:

Sure enough, the sponge was choked. Turned the water in the bucket almost dark brown with the squeezings. Guess I didn't do it right on Sunday. :rolleyes:

At least I'm getting fast at it...

Back
Top Bottom