Filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tategrant

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 skirt tetras 1 Chinese algae eater and some ghost shrimp. With my HOB filter I get the cartridges and replace them every month and rinse the bio filter rarely as it get yucky. I have been on here looking at threads and everyone is talking about being very careful about switching their filter stuff with all their good bacteria. I know this is beneficial but have I been throwing away that bacteria all this time?

So I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 skirt tetras 1 Chinese algae eater and some ghost shrimp. With my HOB filter I get the cartridges and replace them every month and rinse the bio filter rarely as it get yucky. I have been on here looking at threads and everyone is talking about being very careful about switching their filter stuff with all their good bacteria. I know this is beneficial but have I been throwing away that bacteria all this time?
In short, yes you have. You DON'T need to replace it every month. The manufacturers tell you that for a reason....$$$. Sponges can last years. Just give them a rinse, in old tank water. You only need to replace them when they are literally falling apart. You can also buy universal sponges, cut them to size and use them in your cartridges....

In short, yes you have. You DON'T need to replace it every month. The manufacturers tell you that for a reason....$$$. Sponges can last years. Just give them a rinse, in old tank water. You only need to replace them when they are literally falling apart. You can also buy universal sponges, cut them to size and use them in your cartridges....

Wow I feel like crap now

So just rinse the ickyness off in tank water like that I siphon out from water changes?

Yes, rinse in the old tank water. Tap water will destroy the beneficial bacteria. Don't worry about what you did in the past- we all make newbie mistakes. I know I did!

Dont worry. I use to do the same thing. Now im stocking up on cheap Aquaclear sponges, purigen, and filter floss

Filter floss I know it but it passes my mind.. Do you put it in the HOB filters?

Filter floss I know it but it passes my mind.. Do you put it in the HOB filters?

Ya. Basically think pillow stuffing lol. But what i mostly do is use the cartridges that come with the filters but i also use sponges, purigen, lava rock in one of my filters, nitrate reducing pads, and ammonia reducing pads

Ya. Basically think pillow stuffing lol. But what i mostly do is use the cartridges that come with the filters but i also use sponges, purigen, lava rock in one of my filters, nitrate reducing pads, and ammonia reducing pads

Lol all that won't fit in mine but I do have a moss ball! Lol ?

Back
Top Bottom