Filter off when feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
Should I be turning my filter off when feeding? I have on a couple occasions watched a good portion of frozen b worms get sucked up..

Sometimes I think about turning mine off, but I never do. If I feed them right it's usually gone before it gets any where near the intake.

Filter is off when i'm feeding. Most of the bigger tanks on the D/C motor control have a mode call "feed time" which shuts off the motor/filter for 10mins then after 10mins goes back on.

You can turn it off, turn it down, or add a prefilter sponge to the intake so the food gets trapped on the sponge. Then the tank inhabitants can eat it from the sponge. I often see my shrimp and fry picking food off the sponge on the intake pipe.

You can turn it off, turn it down, or add a prefilter sponge to the intake so the food gets trapped on the sponge. Then the tank inhabitants can eat it from the sponge. I often see my shrimp and fry picking food off the sponge on the intake pipe.

X2 on the prefilter sponge. Gives the inhabitants something to search for.

I also turn mine off while feeding. It never takes very long, so I usually end up just standing there watching them eat, then I don't forget to turn it back on when they're done. :)

Back
Top Bottom