Fin rot on my dwarf blue gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wylgamez

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a dwarf blue gourami whose fins have turned brown and seem jagged or ripped off. It has been lethargic on top of the tank breathing air, not moving much or eating at all.

I have a 20g tall tank. Substrate, aquaclear filter 30gph, few plants, wood. Diet includes: hikari brine shrimp, omega one flakes, veggie rounds and blood worms, new era catfish pellets.

ammonia: 0.25
nitrites: 0
nitrates: 20
temp: 78
pH: 8

Gourami currently lives with 2 kuhlie loaches and 3 ottos.

I made a mistake 1 month ago when I decided to donate my tiger barbs and take advantage of a good sale and switch to substrate and bring new fish shortly after in a period of two weeks. I'm almost sure this affected the water chemistry and therefore the gourami.

The tank has been up and running for three years now. It seemed to be a happy place until I made the changes mentioned above. Big mistake! The new substrate altered the PH and the tank suffered a mini-cycle. I lost a few precious lives, lesson learned for life! I've been doing 25% wc every 4 days and the most recently after an ammonia and nitrite spike did a 50% water change and parameters are more stable today, please see numbers above.

Anyways I started treating the Gourami on a hospital tank with Melafix and salt. I was wondering if this is the right way to fix the issue. I mean is this fin rot? Please see picture. What is the right way to treat it? Dosage and duration?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411439737.355450.jpg

Thanks and any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom