Finally Started!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahollland92690

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so i got my 26 gal bow front set up and running :D, its a fw tank for right now until i lookup the fish that i want and figure out if ill do brackish water. but any way jus a few questions...what are my levels suppose to be at? like ammonia level, nitrite and nitrate, and ph...i have a test kit but idk whats the right level.

also i used stress zyme as a biological cycle started...i no i no suppose to use ammonia but i just had stress zyme handy. but i really havent seen any change in the levels (i added it at about 6pm ish and it is almost 10 pm)- so when should there be a spike in my levels? like after 24 hours?

if stress zyme doesnt do anything i will try something else, i got a snail so that he could poop in the tank and kinda get things goin...but he died 5 min after he scooted around in sand :( sad moment but il b ok lol
:(

my tank consists of playsand (friend is using it and it works great plus its only 3$), 2 fake silk plants, and a large fake wood thingy with holes for swimming thro, filter works great but.....my heater is not working so gotta get a new one, and of course a light. my tank is really clear just not to sure bout the whole level things (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, etc...):confused:

Established tank levels should be ammonia 0, NitrIte 0 and NitrAtes 10-60PPM. NitrAte levels can vary depending on how sensitive your type of fish are. When the tank is cycling these levels will vary.

ok, well my ammonia and everything is at like zero so mayb tomro will be my spike in everything which shows that its cycling...or ill by a cheap like feeder fish and let it not survive in my tank :( and let that trigger the ammonia and just let things go.....would that b ok to do, the whole cheapo fish dieing? like the feeder fish.

the stress-zyme wont cycle the tank for you... it just helps grow the bacteria... you need a source of ammonia in the tank... if you just use the stress zyme, you will never see ammonia spikes... either get some PURE ammonia or a raw cocktail shrimp and that will become your ammonia source to build the bacteria to cycle the tank

the ammonia is food for the bacteria. You do need a source of it to feed the bacteria and get it to colonize you tank.

Stress Enzymes are a mixed bag. Some work and some are snake oil.

The best way to jump start you tank is using an old filter media from an established tank. Most of your bacteria live in the filter.

Best bet to find the right ammonia (do not get it if it has surfactants in it) is to go to Ace hardware or True Value. Look up the closest locations via their web page. Shake the bottle and if you get no bubbles you are good.... If it has a bunch of tiny bubbles don't bother buying it cause it has soap in it.

i no killing a lil fish is bad but it was a thought of a friend lol we were conversing to do that, trust me thats my last resort - i cried when my betta died lol im gonna go find ammonia :)
its just plain old ammonia, like household cleaner that i can go buy at a hardware store?
i no to shake it make sure no bubbles form, and to make sure there are no sufectants? in it...but other than that its regular ammonia - saw sum at the dollar tree lol didnt check it tho

Back
Top Bottom