First reef need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madmike10000

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im setting up a 20gallon long tank. I have for a light a t5 quad fixture that puts out 96 watts and 25 pounds of live sand with crushed coral as my substrate. Is this a good start. Im using rodi water. Are there any chemicals i will need to give the tank like calcium or anything or does the salt have enough in it allready. Using instand ocean salt.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Awesome thank you

I'd look to a reef grade salt mix down the road. IO is geared more towards a fish only, or FOWLR system, and not a tank full of coral. IO's "Reef Crystals" may be a better choice when the demand is higher.
I hope the crushed coral substrate isn't too coarse. If so, it will easily trap detritus and need to be regularly vacuumed. A finer substrate will need less/no maintenance.

I havent bought anything yet im was going to go out tomorrow to purchase stuff if you have some recommendations for substrate and salt mix for coral please share for i do it right the first time

Yes. Something smaller than crushed coral. A little larger than sugar sized would work. The Carib Sea or similar at the LFS is a good size. For salt mix, just choose something reef grade. There are many to choose from.

Will that light be good enough for some mushrooms and lps coral

Back
Top Bottom