First time cycling - was fish in, now fishless?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Wow has it been a long time! Wonder if anyone even remembers me anymore :)
Anyways, for those who do I am now living on my own and able to do water changes much easier now, as well as have more than one fish tank with problems A-Z running through it!

So basically I have a 55 gallon fish tank doing a fish-in cycle with angels (I know I know... kill me now. I couldn't sit with an empty tank) which is doing great! and also a 30 gallon tank in the middle of cycling. I took two different approaches with these tanks, since my angels are so fragile. I've been doing 50% water changes every other day, not letting the ammonia reach over .50. The angels are doing great. No nitrites or nitrates yet. Tank has been cycling for two weeks now.

On the other hand, my 30 gallon, I stocked with 5 mollies which are a little hardier. For that tank, I had been doing 50% water changes once a week so ammonia would build up faster and become cycled faster. That way I could put the cycled media into my 55 and cycle that one faster as well. After losing 3 mollies seemingly suddenly, I did a quick check and my readings were through the roof!
Ammonia .50
Nitrite was a hard read I believe it was between 1.0-5.0 but it was the shade of 8.2 on the high range pH scale.
Nitrate seemed to be at 160.

Last time I checked numbers were no where near this bad. It seemed to have happened within the last one-two days. Needless to say, the last mollies were transfered to my 55 gallon, where readings are:

.25 ammonia
0 nitrite
0 nitrate

I am now going to finish this 30 gallon fishless. But I have no idea how to do it. Any suggestions?

Dose with ammonia to 4ppm ammonia, and then dose it again to 4ppm when it drops. Do this until you get nitrates and then do a large water change and your ready! And I remember you!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Awesome to have someone still remember me!
My tank was taken down completely to have a hedgehog instead. But now I live on my own, so I have two hedgehogs, and fish again :D

thank you for your help! I appreciate it. How should I dose? I can use fish food I've heard but idk how to dose fish food to 4 PPM. If I need to buy some liquid ammonia, where do I find it? We found some liquid ammonia cleaner but it wasn't pure.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Awesome to have someone still remember me!
My tank was taken down completely to have a hedgehog instead. But now I live on my own, so I have two hedgehogs, and fish again :D

thank you for your help! I appreciate it. How should I dose? I can use fish food I've heard but idk how to dose fish food to 4 PPM. If I need to buy some liquid ammonia, where do I find it? We found some liquid ammonia cleaner but it wasn't pure.

I honestly dont know where to get liquid ammonia but here is a article on it,
Using Household Ammonia for Humane Cycling of a Tank

Ammonia

I got my ammonia at a Ace hardware... they have janitorial strength, and it was 2.70$ for a giant bottle... Id give you some if I could T.T

hope it helps you a little...

The ones at walmart have surfactant i think its called in english, um soap stuff not pure even if they say it is....

If you live in an area without an Ace Hardware, as I do, DrTim's Aquatics sells ammonium chloride solution. The downside is that you'll have to pay for shipping.

If you live in an area without an Ace Hardware, as I do, DrTim's Aquatics sells ammonium chloride solution. The downside is that you'll have to pay for shipping.

though if you buy his one and only with it... and contact the company, they usually give you the ammonia for free, if you buy the other product...

some other people ive talked to have done this before , though not 100% sure if accurate being that i was too impatient to wait for the shipping of ammonia

though if you buy his one and only with it... and contact the company, they usually give you the ammonia for free, if you buy the other product...

some other people ive talked to have done this before , though not 100% sure if accurate being that i was too impatient to wait for the shipping of ammonia

Interesting. Wish I would've known that when I ordered both.

I'd recommend the One & Only bacteria as well. That stuff is legit. Cycled my tank in nine days, added fish two days later, and had no ammonia or nitrite spikes afterwards.

Interesting. Wish I would've known that when I ordered both.

I'd recommend the One & Only bacteria as well. That stuff is legit. Cycled my tank in nine days, added fish two days later, and had no ammonia or nitrite spikes afterwards.

oh I am using his one and only bacteria... dont mean to hijack the thread...

but do you know if... the results are similar with ammonia not being from his site?

im using the one from ace, and the bacteria is the actual right one whoa....

oh I am using his one and only bacteria... dont mean to hijack the thread...

but do you know if... the results are similar with ammonia not being from his site?

im using the one from ace, and the bacteria is the actual right one whoa..

It shouldn't matter, though it's a lot easier to accurately dose ammonium chloride of a known concentration than ammonia of an unknown concentration.

Ace hardware is the most recommended but there's lots of other places that sell usable ammonia if you do a bit of searching. Dollar Tree, Do It Best hardware, Menuards (sp?) and online on amazon/eBay are other options. The Ace ammonia can be purchased online as well but shipping costs may make it a bit impractical.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom